WeWriWa: Redeeming the Unredeemable

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Saturday, August 08, 2015

WeWriWa: Redeeming the Unredeemable


While waiting for my BETA readers to return their comments on my next release (still sweating it out!) and between page proofs on the in-progress reissuing of my vampire romance series, I took a break to start scribbling plotlines for my next project, a four novella /anthology regarding characters from my dark paranormal BY MOONLIGHT shape-shifter series. Of course the second you try to sit down to do some serious outlining, scenes start percolating. And because there’s no chance I’ll remember them months down the road, I wrote them down while they were fresh. Here’s a snippet from one:
Mia mulled over her almost non-existent options as her palm rode the jerky movements of his chest. She could run, cutting her losses by returning to Memphis and Rueben’s protection where she’d live out the rest of her life looking over her shoulder, in hiding and invisible within her clan, a fate not unlike death. She could wait it out and see what Colin remembered. Maybe nothing. Maybe every damning thing, and she’d be dead in a heartbeat. Or she could strike before he had the chance to reveal her treachery. 

By silencing him, she’d continue on as planned without complications toward the rule of her people.

Without him. 

But having him in any capacity was impossible now.

Colin Terriot was the only thing standing in her way.


One of my favorite things is making villains into heroes/heroines. An interesting villain can carry a book and the thought of what it would take to bring out sympathetic qualities in those so-called unforgivable folk gets my creative juices flowing. Making readers accept their turnabout is the trick. Mia Guedry is a fairly cold-hearted schemer in my next release but I’m banking that chemistry with one Colin Terriot has already begun the thaw. Have the seeds been planted in the scene above?



Weekend Writing Warriors is a weekly hop for everyone who loves to write! Share an 8 to 10 sentence snippet of your writing on Sunday. Visit other participants on the list and read, critique, and comment on their 8sunday posts.

Spread the word, share the love, warriors - Hashtag #8sunday.

22 comments

  1. I always find it interesting and entertaining when a villain turns around. It's unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The unexpected is what MAKES it interesting I always find.

      Delete
  2. I love the scheming! Dark heroes and good villains are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy,
    I think her conflict is laid out in this scene. Thanks for sharing and good luck with the plotting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo I like this snippet a lot. Her struggle will be very demanding indeed. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wicked and interesting. I like her internal thoughts. glad to see more moonlight books coming

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing and no one stands in her way!! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's one determined lady. I wouldn't want to get in her way! Thanks, Sara!

      Delete
  7. I'd say yes, the seeds are planted. And I hope Colin is up to the various tasks coming his way! An intriguing excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there's a good chance he's got it covered!

      Delete
  8. It is fun to make heroes out of villains! Enjoyed your snippet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always figure there's a reason behind what they do. Finding it is the adventure.

      Delete
  9. Love it when a villain turns hero. :)
    Loved the snippet and the way her inner thoughts brought to life what she's planning to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mia has some tough choices ahead of her, none of them good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she'll make some good ones. But not of them easy!

      Delete
  11. None of my characters are ever all good or bad and sometimes it's the inner struggle that provides so much of the conflict. I love the way Mia is so multi-faceted, her situation is certainly intriguing ..."which Mia" will be triumphant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the shades between good and bad that make the characters worth reading about!

      Delete