WeWriWa: Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Sunday, March 13, 2016

WeWriWa: Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder


For the past six months, ImaJinn Books has been repackaging my Touched by Midnight vampire romance series with new covers, giving me the opportunity to revisit stories I haven't read in nearly ten years in order to update the text and make format corrections. Time and distance has made these tasks both fun and enlightening-because I'm looking at the books almost like a new reader. Though I remember the plots and characters, I've been delighting in rediscovering the scenes, especially with MIDNIGHT REDEEMER, Book 6, which brings the series into modern day (or rather the year 2000, before my touch-up). Here's a sneak peek of what's coming out again for the first time at the end of this month:
During their conversation, the restaurant had made an entire revolution, the brightness of the Seattle cityscape becoming the opaqueness of the bay, and against that flat black mat, the restaurant’s interior shown clearly upon the glass. 

All, that is, except for Louis Redman. 

His chair was empty even though he occupied it, the glass of wine lifted as if by its own accord, though she could glance at him and see he clearly held it in his hand. 

The shock startled all else from her mind. 

This was no casual date, and she wasn’t certain Redman was even a man. 

There was a sudden flicker of light as Louis lit the candle centerpiece on their table. Even the small flame obscured the reflective quality of the windows. But Stacy could not forget what she’d seen . . . or what she had not seen. 

He didn’t photograph, and he had no reflection. 

What the hell was he?

Nothing particularly new in the vampire realm, but what excited me all over again was the visual way the mystery and interactions played out . . . like a series on cable. I could see it so clearly: The settings, the cut away shots, the flash back sequences to incorporate the historical precursors, the close-ups, even the special effects. Hmm. Maybe it's time to brush off those screen writing skills. Or maybe I need to take a break from the CW Network and get back to my W-I-P!

Have you had projects of yours just screaming out for TV/movie treatment? Pitch me your High Concept!

Weekend Writing Warriors is a weekly hop for everyone who loves to write! Share an 8 to 10 sentence snippet of your writing on Sunday. Visit other participants on the list and read, critique, and comment on their 8sunday posts.

Spread the word, share the love, warriors - Hashtag #8sunday.

20 comments

  1. Very cool and unusual way to accomplish the "he has no reflection" discovery. Enjoyed the excerpt very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I love that one. Your writing, as always, is so rich!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent method of discovery! Wonderful visual and visceral response. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mysterious in so many ways, Nancy. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that! Thank YOU, Charmaine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the way she made the latest discovery. Mysterious indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Outstanding scene. My mind conjured the image as your words described it, Nancy, and I couldn't help but smile at the genius in the way you introduced it to Stacy. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the scene. I visualize the whole thing. Great writing. I enjoyed the excerpt

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool setup. Obviously, though, she hasn't read enough paranormal romance or she's know what he probably was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say? She's a scientist! Thanks, Ed!

      Delete
  10. Great snippet! And even though I knew what the monster was pretty quickly, for a first time reader who might not know a lot about traditional vampire lore, you did a great job of adding mystery to the scene. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Amy. By this point of the book, everyone knows what he is and even the heroine suspects. This is the Ta Dah moment when she has to face the fact. Glad it works!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this snippet. Great scene building and suspense. She takes her discovery pretty calmly, because I'd have taken off running :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very cool way to reveal Louis' true nature. Of course, the fact that Stacy has to ask what he is just proves she hasn't read enough vampire romances!

    ReplyDelete