IWSG: It’s All About Getting Down and Dirty

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Wednesday, November 02, 2016

IWSG: It’s All About Getting Down and Dirty


Our monthly IWSG topic concerns our favorite aspect of being a writer. The glamour? The pay? The hours? Working in yoga pants (Okay, that one I do love!). Getting up at 4:30 a.m. while normal people are still sleeping? There are tons of things I like about writing, but the one I love is simple . . . the writing.

I love telling a story. I get so excited as the plot unfolds, I can hardly type fast enough to contain it. I love listening to the banter my characters have while I’m driving to work. I love the scenes that play out behind my eyeballs while I’m trying to sleep at night. I love the urgency that hurries me to my home office after a long day at my work office so the images and words can be captured on my hard drive before they escape me.

I love writing.

The rest is gravy.

I’d write if my words were never read by another soul (and many of them never will be!). I write without a deadline to push me or the promise of a royalty check. I write because a well-crafted phrase can be so dang sexy!

I write because I’m a writer. Period.

The rest is just business. The writing is personal.

Now, on to business. What follows the simple joy of building a book is the task of launching it. Hello World! My latest has just hit e-reader screens and will be out in trade paper soon. Here’s what I’ve been doing – on the floor in front of the TV, on Post-It notes in the car, in quickie segments during my lunch hour . . . PRINCE OF HONOR, first book in my new “By Moonlight” spinoff shapeshifter series. Welcome to the “House of Terriot.”



The hunter becomes the prey, a prisoner to his own desire . . .

Turow . . .

Strong, silent man of integrity content to serve his new king as a prince in the turbulent shape-shifter House of Terriot. A tracker and relentless hunter, he’s used to running trails alone until charged with returning a traitor to their mountain top home to face the unforgiving judgment of their clan. On the run with the bad girl he’s loved forever, the choice between duty and desire has never been more difficult . . . or deadly.

Could the bargain made to save their lives become reality?

Sylvia . . .

Manipulative schemer or victim caught between a mother’s ambition and a rogue prince’s lust for power? Trust is almost as foreign as the idea of love, but to save herself from certain death, she must risk both on the good man who deserves them . . . from someone worthy. Trapped by the only one who believes in her goodness, will she betray him and run for her life . . . or stay and destroy him with a long hidden truth?


Deadly, Damaged, and Delicious!
Brothers too H.o.T. to Handle!

While I finish the leftover Halloween candy hoping the sugar will rush see me through the last few chapters of PRINCE OF POWER, Book 2, I’ll be interested in seeing what you consider the best part of this crazy thing we do.


Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time.

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!


Twitter hashtag is #IWSG 

IWSG awesome co-hosts for the November 2nd posting will be Joylene Nowell Butler, Jen Chandler, Mary Aalgaard, Lisa Buie Collard, Tamara Narayan, Tyrean Martinson, and Christine Rains!

20 comments

  1. Totally agree with you that the best part of writing is the writing itself. You may try to stop or convince yourself that you could have better pay if you just did something else, like being a doctor or engineer, but then you find yourself constantly coming back to the written word unable to stay away from it. :)

    Congratulations on the publication of your new e-book! That is quite the accomplishment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post, Nancy! I'm always inspired by you dedication to writing what you love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see you jumping on the bandwagon yourself!! Welcome to IWSG!

      Delete
  3. You are such a great role model. To get up at 4:30am to write is real dedication. Yay, for your new release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, to stay up past 9:00 p.m. is real dedication! Thanks, Di!

      Delete
  4. The best thing about your post is the true honestly behind it. The writing at 430 am, rushing home to get your ideas on screen before you lose them, and the scenes playing in your head while trying to sleep. Just keep writing and you'll be fine. Your characters might not, but you will be.

    Congrats on the publication! Have a glass of wine and celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are we crazy, or what? But I wouldn't have it any other way!

      Delete
  5. That quote still has me giggling! I love it :)

    Writing isn't glamorous but it's wonderful! People who don't write can never understand the romance, the desire, we have with our words, our stories and, yes, our characters.

    Keep writing! And congratulations on the BOOK!
    Cheers!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen!! Yes, we are an odd breed, aren't we? Bu we're always entertained and entertaining!

      Delete
  6. I also love the writing part. Simple as thought.

    You get up at 4:30? I may be a writer, but I could never drag myself out of bed then. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And may never see 11:30 p.m. again! Thank goodness for my Keurig!

      Delete
  7. We are a strange breed, eh? Congratulations on your beautiful novel, Nancy. Love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joylene! I picked out all four upfront so they'd all look like part of a set. And WHAT a set!

      Delete
  8. And that is why you are my biggest inspiration, Nancy. I admire & appreciate you so much. And I will shout it out loud & clear: Buy this book, y'all! Prince of Honor is freakin' awesome! 5 stars all the way, baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a great cover there. I agree with you about just loving the writer. I love falling in love with my characters and seeing them overcome obstacles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're like family and boyfriend's past and future!

      Delete
  10. Oh boy, this story sounds good! Yep, cover's not bad either! I love the storytelling too... my favorite part. After that the rest is candy to the soul...especially when someone becomes a reader of my work and likes it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's the absolute best part! Thanks, Lisa!

      Delete