WIP Wednesday: This Year’s Work In Progress . . . Me!

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Wednesday, January 04, 2012

WIP Wednesday: This Year’s Work In Progress . . . Me!

I’m not much for New Year’s resolutions. They last only as long as my ADD is interested in them—a week, one, maybe two month’s max. But, since I’m huge on self-motivation, I decided to forgo resolutions to pick a yearly mantra instead. Remember when you were in high school and you had to pick a ‘theme’ for your story? A mantra is a theme for your life, something to follow, to explore, to expand upon. And since life changes, so do mantras.

My 2011 mantra was “What’s in it for me?” On the surface, that sounds selfish but it’s meant to be self-centering (in a good way!). It was a year to discover what I truly wanted, what was important to me and how outside influences and events related to that question. We do a lot of things without thinking of reasons or consequence. “What’s in it for me?” helped me narrow down my focus to target my answers and responses. And I’ll continue to ask myself that defining question in 2012. But 2012 is a new year, filled (already!) with new experiences and challenges, and it needs a mantra big enough to confront them. So, what’s in it for me in 2012?

It took all of 5 seconds on Facebook on January 1 to discover words prophetic enough to guide me through the year:




Wow!

Hmmm . . .

Technology and our daily lifestyle have made us observers rather than participants. Toys and books now do the playing and the reading for our kids. Devices and appliances now do the work we used to have to use our bodies and brains to accomplish (not like this is a BAD thing! I love to be spoiled and don’t always have time to shred all those carrots myself.) And what do we do with all our extra time we’ve saved? Change the channels. Life has become a spectator sport instead of the active event it’s meant to be. We just sit back contentedly and let life happen . . . and then complain because we feel unsatisfied or are confused because we’ve lost control and focus. I’m guilty of this myself. Just yesterday I was musing to my daughter-in-law/co-worker how nice it would be to only have to put in my 9-to-5 hours and go home to HGTV. No stresses, no deadlines, no projects, no worries. And it took about two seconds for the full effect of that to sink in . . . I’d go crazy within a week! I need to be challenged. I’m an inherent procrastinator so I need to be pushed. I need to do it for myself (except that getting off the couch to actually, physically change the channel thing).

For the follow three All About Me Mondays, I’ll be addressing this year’s mantra in three different areas that need my active attention. I call them Healthy, Wealthy and Wise. I hope you’ll take the journey with me.

A big “Thank you!” to Diane Burton who reminded me of my January motivational workshops. This year, I needed one!

What are some of the things YOU need to address more actively this year?

6 comments

  1. I don't make resolutions, but instead set goals. This year I am setting writing goals that are attainable and productive. I'll be on your journey with you, Nancy! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually love change. But I want those changes to go my way. That's where the work comes in. Lots of work. Your site is going to help me load those dice in my favor.

    Thanks for giving me that push I need. All the best, Annette

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be watching, ready for the words of wisdom! In the meantime, my immediate goal is purging my office/library. The hubs will be shocked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that mantra when I first read it on FB. I'm looking forward to taking that journey with you. The 1st thing I did this year was to write out my goals & schedule them. I figure we're all off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again, you've given me inspiration and motivation. Like Patrish, I'm ready for words of wisdom...in the area of "Get it done. Really!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Count me in on the journey too! Says she who is a day late. For some reason the word CHALLENGED in your piece struck a cord with me.

    So mentor away! We're listening!

    ReplyDelete