IWSG: Power of the Written Word

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Wednesday, May 01, 2019

IWSG: Power of the Written Word

Our Insecure Writers Support Group question for May 1 is: What was an early experience where you learned that language had power?


In my upscale elementary school, I was the painfully shy daydreamer wearing out-of-style, home sewn hand-me-downs from two older sisters, with small circle of close friends who enjoyed my vivid imagination. A huge reader, I never thought storytelling would be my super power until a sixth grade English assignment. Write a fractured fairytale. After telling my story idea to friends, they encouraged me to write, Sandrella, the tale of a young teen excited about going to her first school dance in hopes of catching the eye of her rich, handsome crush with a little supernatural help. But reality can’t live up to the fantasy because the ‘prince’ turns out to be a bore, the party a drag, and the night a waste of magic. Those few hand-written pages earned me an A+, which was reward enough. But then the school newsletter was mailed out to all the parents featuring student works selected by teachers at each grade level as the best of the best.There was Sandrella, finally the belle of the ball! And beneath the title was my name. In print. For the first time ever. The thrill of seeing that typed name was somehow better than all the sudden recognition from my peers. My name. In print. And I knew right then that this sixth grader was going to grow up to be a writer. Through the power of imagination spun into words, I’d found my public‘voice.’

And she wrote happily-ever-after.


What’s your super power?


Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time.The awesome co-hosts for the May 1st posting of the IWSG will be Lee Lowery, Juneta Key, Yvonne Ventresca, and T. Powell Coltrin!

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Twitter hashtag is #IWSG

12 comments

  1. That's awesome that you got your start writing and being published in elementary school. I never dreamed that I'd like to write stories back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ALL I ever wanted to do - tell and write stories (though I did dabble with the idea of being an English teacher at one point . . . but, you know . . . grammar. I hire an editor!)

      Delete
  2. OMG, I so remember seeing my byline that first time. An incredible experience. Your experience brought it all back again. And, seeing my byline or opening another box of newly published books never grows old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story! And 6th grade Nancy was way ahead of her time in social commentary.

    My super power is being able to say "well, that didn't go as planned" without a bit of hysteria. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one I'm still trying to cultivate! Thanks for dropping by, Lee!

      Delete
  4. That's so cool! I had a similar experience when I'd written on a non-fiction piece about the Valdez oil spill. When the writing competition actually printed it in their book, along with my name, I was hooked! I had to keep writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recognition for all those hours of solitude is addictive!

      Delete
  5. What a super experience. Mine (in high school) wasn't so great. Maybe that's why it took so long for me to come back to writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peers can be hideously cruel (which was why mine going to parents was such a boost!).

      Delete
  6. Wow, that is impressive published in elementary school. Happy IWSG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should list it as my first publishing credit! That would make for one impression career span!

      Delete