Getting to know you:
1. Party dress or blue jeans? Blue jeans, it’s not a pretty sight to see me in a dress.
2. Spa day or gym workout? Neither, I’m too self-conscious and workout/exercising hurts.
3. Night owl or early bird? Early bird, only because I have a day job.
4. TV at home or movie theatre? TV at home.
5. Things that make you want to go “EEEEEEK!” A mouse, a bat, and cats chasing them around the house.
6. If I had a free afternoon, I’d . . . Write.
7. Favorite books from childhood? Black Beauty
8. Gourmet cook or take out? Take out.
9. Favorite comfort food? Steak and potato.
The Written word:
10. Favorite genre to read? Is it what you write? Contemporary and suspense romance and yes, I write contemporary and suspense romance.
11. What would you love to write that you haven’t? Thriller suspense.
12. Paperback or e-book? I do both, but with e-book, I don’t have to worry about getting more bookshelves.
A Writer’s Life:
13. OCD plotter or free range pantser? OCD Plotter – I have to have a goal, outline of what I want to accomplish in the ms.
14. Which is easier, the synopsis or the book? The book.
15. Live to write or write to live? Day job? Live to write, I do have a day job that I hope to retire from soon.
16. How many submissions did you send out before publication? I think I sent out about 15 submissions.
17. First publishing rejection (and getting back on that horse)? Harlequin, they rejected all my ms.
18. First person you call when you get a sale? Hubby.
19. Solo muse or critique partner(s)? I have a critique partner I really depend on and she’s great about it.
20. When can we get your next book and what’s it all about? The Last Dig, release date is June 16, 2014. A paleontologist finds mystery and romance when a body is found dead at her dig site.
Bones, bodies, and a love rekindled.
Paleontologist Caroline Priest is shocked when she finds a dead body at her dig site. When she calls it in to the sheriff's department, her former boyfriend, Rand Callahan, comes out to investigate. The evidence quickly starts to point to Caroline being the killer, and Rand has no choice but to arrest her.
It's clear to Caroline that she's been set up, but by who and for what reason? While Caroline is out on bail, Rand rekindles his relationship with her as they try to solve the mystery before it's too late.
Content Warning: contains some sexual content
Constance Bretes is an author of contemporary romance and suspense. Her romance books are often set in different parts of the country, but her favorite site is Montana. She's married to her best friend and resides in Michigan with him and a houseful of cats. When she's not at her regular 8-to-5 job, she can be found writing, researching, and spending time with her husband.
You can learn more about Connie and her books at: