WeWriWa: Knowing is Half the Battle . . . (if you’re a prince with a secret!)

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Sunday, October 21, 2018

WeWriWa: Knowing is Half the Battle . . . (if you’re a prince with a secret!)


With two sons growing up in the ‘80s/early ‘90s, one of the school day morning rituals was breakfast with GI Joe. Not only did they learn lessons about fair play and honor (and a lot of cartoon action!), the motto from the show taught me something, too. Things seem scary, impossible, overwhelming, undefeatable . . . until you know what you’re dealing with. Knowledge can give you the upper hand when the going gets tough. It helped our buddies Duke, Scarlet and my favorite, Cross Country every morning at 7:00. It’s helped me get over hurdles in my writing career. And it could help the hero in my new release PRINCE OF DREAMS deal with the pull between what he desires and what he’s obligated to do. Knowing can help equal the most difficult playing field, as Kip Terriot is discovering in today’s excerpt as he discusses his seemingly doomed attraction to Ophelia, who is not only his enemy’s daughter, but not his own species!


"I can keep both things separate." 

Colin had the unexpected decency not to laugh out loud. "No, you can't. We are what we are and what we are is not like them. Sure, she's cute and busty and probably laughs at your lame jokes, but she can't give you what you need. She can't be your life mate and give you a family." 

"Why not?" That belligerent demand cancelled all his half-hearted protests over the same issue, but Colin didn't call him on it, instead, continuing in that same quietly measured tone that led down a path to no future Kip wanted for himself. 

"Because you’re a prince in the House of Terriot which is why haven't you told her who you are." 

"She knows."


I’m with Colin, Kip’s cynical older brother. How can Kip believe it could work out? And just WHAT does Phe know about their secretive family? Knowing, in this case, could destroy them! I’ll be continuing this conversation into next month.



As Halloween gets closer, my dreamy Prince and I are continuing to tour in a Spooktacular way. One of the fun things it involves is a Facebook event on Wednesday, Oct. 24th. My slot is 8-9 p.m. EST. All sort of goodies and giveaways will ensue throughout the day.


I hope you’ll stop by to visit with me!!


PRINCE OF DREAMS and I are also inviting you to the Hallowpalooza Scavenger Hunt through Oct. 31 where you can meet new authors, find new reads and win some awesome prizes, including a Kindle Fire! Come support me as one of the participating authors and have some non-caloric fun in door-to-door stops.



I spent my Saturday in an online chat with the amazing Joy Seeker, Arwen Lynch who uses the Tarot to help plot your novel’s path and develop your characters' backstory. Her reading helped me define my heroine in PRINCE OF DREAMS (so appropriate since she’s a card reader in New Orleans!)! Take a peek at her book Mapping the Hero’s Journey with Tarot: 33 Days to Finish Your Book. It’s awesome!


Happy Haunting season and Happy Writing, fellow Warriors!


Weekend Writing Warriors is a weekly hop for everyone who loves to write! Share an 8 to 10 sentence snippet of your writing on Sunday. Visit other participants on the list and read, critique, and comment on their 8sunday posts.


Spread the word, share the love, warriors - Hashtag #8sunday.

26 comments

  1. They seem to have many differences, but when it comes to true love, nothing can stand between it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the brotherly chat. Colin is so serious in his warnings. Kip is just as determined to pursue Phe. That last line is a zinger. Looking forward to "seeing" you on my blog on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Colin is in the middle of the same situation so he knows what he's talking about. Can't wait to 'visit.'

      Delete
  3. WOW! wonderful snippet just enough to be believed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope springs eternal. Everyone knows that HEA is out there with their name on it. He's not willing to surrender that hope yet. I'm with him, a sucker for lost causes. Fantastic snippet. I feel so strongly for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenna! Yes, the power of young love . . .

      Delete
  5. Intriguing discussion they're having and things do look grim at the moment...enjoyed the snippet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like advice from the big brother who has made all those same mistakes!

      Delete
  6. This is a fantastic snippet! The dialogue is great and very believable. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. They do tend to carry on with or without me.

      Delete
  7. Brothers can be spoilsports. I suspect they both have secrets, and the plot will require a few upheavals to bring them together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool thing to plot your book's path using the Tarot! Very much enjoyed this snippet, and you left us with quite a teaser at the end! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! Yes, it was in the cards, literally!!

      Delete
  9. what a great snippet, I do feel for Kip though, I hope he'll overcome the obstacles, and love will win!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A boy can always hope. Enjoyed the excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how quick he lost his 'I don't care' attitude. Now he just has to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great snippet. I'm new to this story. I love the description - because she's busty :-)
    Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Daryl. Yes, I wanted a hero I could relate to!

      Delete
  13. I hope love wins.
    Great banter between Colin and Kip. Love that last line. I'm imagining Colin at lost for words. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! Colin's never lost for word . . . just sometimes regrouping them.

      Delete