IWSG: Writing that Shapeshifting Project . . . and New Release - RISE BY MOONLIGHT!

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Wednesday, August 05, 2020

IWSG: Writing that Shapeshifting Project . . . and New Release - RISE BY MOONLIGHT!


It’s always a pleasure to give back to a group that gives so much, so here’s me, stepping up to co-host this month’s Insecure Writers Support Group!! Welcome my IWSG cohorts:

Susan Baury RouchardJennifer HawesChemist KenJennifer LaneChrys Fey.

Together, we’re helping fearless leader, Alex J. Cavanaugh rock your neurotic writing world with this month’s August 5th question - Quote: "Although I have written a short story collection, the form found me and not the other way around. Don't write short stories, novels or poems. Just write your truth and your stories will mold into the shapes they need to be."

Have you ever written a piece that became a form, or even a genre, you hadn't planned on writing in? Or do you choose a form/genre in advance?

Back in 2008, my series contemporary romance editor was thrilled when I suggested submitting to their new paranormal line. My first attempt wasn’t quite “romancy” enough, so I started playing “what if” with characters and plotlines. I didn’t expect to fall in love. I sent the editor my synopsis and three chapters for a supposed “long” book and started writing. And couldn’t stop. By the time I heard back from her, I’d written the first two completes and was half way through the third in a series about a shapeshifter hero in servitude to a father figure mob boss and the female detective he’s protected from his boss without her knowledge since she was a teen. When the editor and I met at a conference in New York, she gushed about the first book and the writing and offered an amazingly good advance . . . for just the first book with no guarantee that the others would be picked up and with the codicil that I shorten it by about 20K and . . . change the hero so he never really does anything bad. An enforcer for the Mob who made his bones as a teenager? Jaw drop. I needed that money. I needed a sale. But I couldn’t gut those unexpected books of my heart.

So, I said no. And she didn’t blame me. Then, at that same conference mixer, I bumped into another former editor who asked what I was working on. I pitched, she said send and she bought – BIG – For all three!

Long story sorta short, that attempted contemporary romance became a decade-long project with the first six books at Pocket/Simon & Schuster and the next nine, self-pubbed. The fifteenth and final book of that “By Moonlight” series debuted Monday. Talk about an unexpected journey! Through it all, I learned how much I love being in control of my own writing and promotional ship (even though Pocket let me have a lot of input when I was with them learning from the best). That, I never expected after already enjoying a lengthy career working contented behind the scenes.

So, join me in celebrating the result of that learning curve. I love big books and I cannot lie!



Hope to see many of you in my guise as hall blog monitor this month. Looking forward to reading your inspiring posts!

Write on, fellow IWSG warriors! And stay safe out there!



Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!
Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time.The awesome co-hosts for the August 5th posting of the IWSG will be Susan Baury Rouchard, Nancy Gideon, Jennifer Lane, Jennifer Hawes, Chemist Ken, and Chrys Fey!

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Twitter hashtag is #IWSG

65 comments

  1. What a ride it's been! Life takes turns and leaves us guessing. Congratulations on your run and good luck with the new venture.
    Thanks for co-hosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what's so great about the journey - the surprises!

      Delete
  2. Wow that’s such an amazing story! It gives us all hope that we should believe in ourselves and our writing above all else! Congratulations on the new release too.
    www.nooranandchawla.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've have quite a journey. Congrats on your new release. Thank you for co-hosting this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your amazing road to publication. Congrats on your new release!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You stuck with your vision and it paid off big.
    Thanks for co-hosting today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So good for you to have remained true to yourself and true to your story. What wonderful success. Thank you for sharing.,.and thank you for hall monitoring, oops, I mean cohosting IWSG this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thanks, Lisa. The halls were remarkably well ordered!

      Delete
  7. Wow, what a story! I'm so impressed you were strong enough to pass on that first offer and keep the integrity of your series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some fights are worth taking on. I'm glad that was my line in the sand. I wish I'd had that same strength in other situations but you pick your battles!

      Delete
  8. Congrats on your newest release! I've been with you for the journey, reading each book as it comes out. I'm so happy you found the genre that you love. Thanks for "monitoring" us this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the rock steady support, Di!! Still proud I convinced you to come to the dark side (at least to visit!)!

      Delete
  9. You know that feelings when the doctor frowns as he/she looks at your chart . . . yeah it was like that. But have never regretted it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love your publication story! How fantastic is that? What makes it even mores special is that you stayed true to yourself and your work. Great encouragement shared here. Thank you! And thank you for co-hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fascinating Nancy. What a journey. Congratulations on your new release. Thank you for sharing your experience and co-hosting this month. Pleasure meeting you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the word "romancy." Getting a book to be what you want is quite a challenge at time. Glad you made yours work. And thanks for co-hosting today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great story. I love when our creative lives lead us in unexpected directions. @samanthabwriter from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, so interesting how it all unfolded. Congratulations on your fifteenth book in the series coming out! And thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an awesome unfolding of events, Nancy! That is impressive to publish traditionally, and it's also great to take over the process as an indy. I'm glad you stayed true to your vision of your characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I started out there were NO e-books or self-publishing (I know, dinosaur!) just the Big 8 in NY. The advent of small indie presses was the real boon to writers to keep their work out there. E-books were the blessing that gave self-pubbing the boost it needed and that many great authors needed!

      Delete
  16. IWSG is great – we soon see our concerns and doubts aren't silly, but part of being a writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The strength of the pack means everything especially when they're all supporting each other.

      Delete
  17. What a fabulous journey!!! I love my contemporary romance - and that's not at all what I expected to be writing! :)
    Thanks for cohosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to pen huge horror or historical sagas! But a historical regency sold . . . and so it goes. We make our own paths and sometimes find wonderful side adventures!

      Delete
  18. Good on you for sticking to your guns! So many younger/newer writers these days are too quick to make every single change suggested by anyone, and in so doing fail to develop their own creative vision and voice.

    Thanks for co-hosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The desire to please is ingrained in us. It's when we find the courage to fight for our dream vision that we go from writers to authors. Discovering what's right is the journey.

      Delete
  19. Lots of writing go independent to have that much control over their product. I'm glad you were able to do it your way and still be successful with traditional publishing.

    Thanks for co-hosting IWSG this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot of research, Ken! And a lot of hands on. But then I started out in historicals and taking notes from text books in the library reference room! Becoming an author is SO much easier now in some ways but the competition makes it more difficult to be successful.

      Delete
  20. That's an amazing story! I twas meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great learning curve! It's encouraging to hear from an established author that it does work, and we do learn. Thanks so much for co-hosting today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seemed more like a hairpin corner at 80 mph in the rain at the time! But I had great support of my cluster of writer friends. Now we have the IWSG army!!

      Delete
  22. You took a huge risk when you were just getting started. I admire your spirit and grateful things worked out well. Congratulations on your success.
    Lynn La Vita blog: Writers Supporting Writers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn! Actually, I was at about the mid-point where I'd learned the business and was ready to apply it on my own behalf.

      Delete
  23. Your story is inspiring, Nancy. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boosting each other up is the big benefit of this group!!

      Delete
  24. That is wonderful to have your story spill out non-stop. I'm quite jealous (where's the green font?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not like this last book that was like pulling out the stump of a redwood with a tricycle!!

      Delete
  25. That's a great story, and I love that you had the guts to say 'no' and believe in your hero - AND get a deal with the next person who happened along (I know it wasn't quite like that!)
    Just shows these things can happen.
    Good luck with the latest one. Are you sure it's the last in the series?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was nauseous for days, waffling between calling her back to say, "Just kidding! and sticking to my guns. I've had some fabulous editors and a good working relationship with them made all the difference.

      Delete
  26. I loved your inspiring story, Nancy! I'd have said "No" as well, because I have to believe in what I'm writing or I feel like a fraud. Thanks for co-hosting today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This happened just after I got a divorce so I have to think some of it was that female hormonal roar of independence. Or maybe the free wine . . .

      Delete
  27. Saucy and sassy and smart - and huge success has come your way because you were true to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HUGE isn't the exact word. Steady is more apt. SSS - I like that!

      Delete
  28. Ha! I love big books too ;-) You are a perfect example of "You, doing you" and living proof that it works. Thanks for co-hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love big books, any books, free books, store-bought books... okay, you get the idea. We're on the same page ;-) Great work and congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You should write what makes you happy. It's your life. Thanks for co-hosting today.

    ReplyDelete
  31. How I loved reading your success story! Good to follow your gut. I have a lot of respect for your decision to not "give in" to that first editor and offer. It must not have been an easy choice, but it was obviously the right one!

    It's great you can compare the traditional publishing way to the self-publishing route as well. Congratulations with the new release (and all the old releases) and thank you for co-hosting this month!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm glad you didn't take that first offer! That would have been a hard decision, but so glad it actually worked out for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Good that you stuck to your story's truth! Thanks for co-hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a great outcome from that initial interaction - and fifteen books, oof! I bet you never forecast you'd end up writing a series that big.

    ReplyDelete