WeWriWa: Time for a New Beginning

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Sunday, November 08, 2020

WeWriWa: Time for a New Beginning


No, this isn’t a political post (though it could be . . .). Sorry to have been MIA but I’ve either been in my writing cave trying to force out words on my new project or in front of MSNBC watching the election unfold. I don’t know which has been more distracting except I’m ready to have Steve Kornacki’s love child for his vote graphing expertise. I don’t handle uncertainty well. I like a well-planned path with few if any bumps. Both of the above have held more suspense than my quarantine-brain can process. And such is the case for my heroine in this introduction to my new romantic suspense.

Willamina Redbone stepped cautiously to the edge of the porch, one hand on her shotgun, the other lifted to shade her eyes against the blistering glare of late afternoon going on evening.  She squinted, trying to identify the lone horseman kicking up dust down her long drive. Just the way he sat the saddle told her more than she wanted to know. A low growl rumbled up from the motley-colored dog beside her.  At her stern, “Sit. I’ll handle this,” he parked his rump but lost none of his aggressive tension.

She held her ground at the threshold of her home the way she would an anticipated battleline, jaw clenched because thoughts traitorously jumped to her appearance. With blonde hair wrestled back in an off-center hair band and lean form lost within a pair of dirty coveralls over a sweat-stained A-shirt, she looked far from ready to entertain. But a-body didn’t dress or smell their Sunday best after mucking stalls.

If Jimmy Redbone had expected a picture-perfect welcome home, he’d come to the wrong place.

I’m ready for a new adventure. I’m holding onto my high hopes. More on my project next week with my word count growing now that I’m not glued to the news. I’m ready for good things!

Happy Weekend and Happy Writing, fellow Warriors!!


Weekend Writing Warriors is a weekly hop for everyone who loves to write! Share an 8 to 10 sentence snippet of your writing on Sunday. Visit other participants on the list and read, critique, and comment on their 8sunday posts.

Spread the word, share the love, warriors - Hashtag #8sunday.

25 comments

  1. Your heroine would seem to be like you, Nancy: She's setting up a well-planned path with few if any bumps ... except for the wicked kickback from that shotgun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting start to this story! Here's to new things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I already love this! So perfectly described! I especially love the details you threw in about the dog and her stern command to him. You've already painted such a clear picture of her character. Amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great description of a working farm girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ranch girl, actually. Thanks, Aurora. My critique partner is a Texan and refuses to let me NOT get it right.

      Delete
  5. Great opening. Full of tension and clean show of character right from the start.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Intriguing beginning for sure, full of vivid detail and good insight into how the character thinks...enjoyed the excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Than you, Jean. Was nervous after being in a different genre for so long.

      Delete
  7. So evocative of the wild west, and I can picture her perfectly. I wouldn't want to be this Jimmy Redbone for anything. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Modern day West but still pretty wild. Thanks, Alexis.

      Delete
  8. I can just hear her - Sit. I'll handle this.
    And the dog understood the tone and sat. :-)
    Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have cats. They understand . . . but they don't care.

      Delete
  9. Loved this opening! I'm already in love with your heroine! When is it set? Great snippet--please write faster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's modern day but she's still old school Texas.

      Delete
  10. Ahk. So many questions. Husband, father, brother, who is this prodigal returning home. Loved the snippet. Ready to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh, I LIKE it! Your writing pulled me right into that scene. I'm there, right next to the dog. I have a shotgun too. ;-) Jimmy Redbone best turn that hoss around. :-)

    Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a great beginning. I'd sure read more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is Jimmy her husband? Regardless, great opening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, he is. And he's got some 'slaining to do!

      Delete