IWSG: Ya Gotta Have Friends . . .

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Tuesday, February 02, 2021

IWSG: Ya Gotta Have Friends . . .


I’m thrilled to co-host the Insecure Writers Support Group this month along with  Louise - Fundy Blue, Jennifer Lane, Mary Aalgaard, Patsy Collins at Womagwriter, and that leads me right into our question for February:

“Blogging is often more than just sharing stories. It’s often the start of special friendships and relationships. Have you made any friends through the blogosphere?”


I started posting on these first Wednesdays of the month ages ago to meet fellow writers, and that goal has been met over a hundred-fold! Writing is such a solitary occupation . . . then add a pandemic on top of it . . . How else are we going to feed that need to connect with our own except on social sites such as IWSG? When I started out, I confess, I was hoping to sell more books (aren’t we all?!). What I didn’t expect was to find my people. Yes, you are my people. You sit alone in front of a screen making make-believe come to life in the hearts and minds of others. You share the same frustrations, the same goals, the same dreams, and disappointments that I feel. I believe that’s the definition of friends.

When I started writing, I didn’t know anyone else who shared my excitement for the written word. And then, after being invited to speak at a Mid-Michigan Romance Writers of America meeting, I found a place to belong and more than that, to learn and grow. I started my blog to further that connection (okay, and to sell books!), but never a real joiner, I didn’t reciprocate as much as I should have. And then I found IWSG. I don’t even remember how, but it was a miraculous discovery that, along with Weekend Writing Warriors, expanded my circle exponentially. I look forward to my blog friends’ posts. I’m thrilled to receive and reply to comments. I love cheering for accomplishment and offering a shoulder to those who’ve suffered setbacks. Because we’ve ALL been there.

I’m excited to host because it means I’m expanding my reach to new friends. I’m going to find fantastic new reads and learn about bold and sometimes scary new journeys into our writing world. This is especially important since the only humans I’ve seen lately are on Zoom and TV.

IWSG is my writer family. And as always, I’ve gotcha!

And because I already warned you about wanting to sell books . . . I’ve got three $0.99 S*A*L*E*S going on this month in different genres/pen names. Maybe one of them will catch your eye . . .


REMEMBERED BY MOONLIGHT, now just $0.99 through the month of February, is my first indie-pubbed book, a continuation of my “By Moonlight” shapeshifter series that just concluded with RISE BY MOONLIGHT, Book #15! This is the perfect spot for a new reader to jump in and get to know the characters that populate this action-packed world as our hero struggles to regain his own lost memory.


LOVE’S OWN REWARD, now only $0.99 from February 1st - 15th, was my first contemporary romance written as Dana Ransom, and a launch book for Zebra/Kensington’s Lucky In Love line back in the ‘90s. It’s been repackaged and rereleased by BelleBooks.


Sink your teeth into MIDNIGHT REDEEMER, part of my “Touched by Midnight” series that follows a centuries-old vampire on his search to reclaim his humanity. It’s only $0.99 from February 16-28!

Something for everyone!


And now, I’ve got posts to visit so I can find something good to read!!


Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time.The awesome co-hosts for the January 6th posting of the IWSG will be Louise - Fundy Blue, Jennifer Lane, Mary Aalgaard, Patsy Collins at Womagwriter, and Nancy Gideon!

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Twitter hashtag is #IWSG

59 comments

  1. Hi,
    I love your positive upbeat post and feel the same way. I am so thankful for the writing organisations that I belong to. Especially now with the Pandemic.

    I just purchased Remembered By Moonlight and Love's Own Reward. I look forward to reading them.
    Thank you also for co-hosting.

    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squee!! Thank you, Pat! It's been a pleasure getting to know you through your posts her on IWSG!!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for co-hosting. We are so lucky to be a member of such a great group! I love IWSG.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very glad you found the IWSG! I started my blog as a platform to sell books and I have stayed for all the friendships I've made over the years.
    Thanks for co-hosting today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for co-hosting. I'm so glad that I found the IWSG too. I feel like it's my home too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Natalie! Your is one of the first places I always visit.

      Delete
  5. Great post! This online writing community is a godsend. So glad to meet you, and LOVE your mask!!
    Thanks for co-hosting this month!
    Mary at http://bit.ly/3pOcnzV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Mary! Nice to meet you, too. The mask was a 'Must Have' I was hoping not to have to wear for as long as I have. Grateful for IWSG to keep me in the loop!

      Delete
  6. I've met so many wonderful people through this blogging community and am so grateful to IWSG. It's the only reason, at present, that I keep blogging. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It started out as a place to make professional contacts but has become a place to connect with my friends. Win-Win, I'd say!!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for co-hosting, Nancy. I love your mask!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a pleasure! A mask is just another expansion of my love for bling!!

      Delete
  8. I do love the blogosphere but I especially love the folks I meet through IWSG. They are closer to soulmates than most of the people in the physical world. Nice to meet you, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Jacqui! Writers are unique folk and that's what draws us to one another.

      Delete
  9. Loooove that mask! Thanks for co-hosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always looking for a chance to wear it (like that great jewelry you save for an occasion!) since I've only gone as far as the back patio in the last month!!

      Delete
  10. Congrats on all the great books! Blogging is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yolanda! And I totally agree (about the blogging!).

      Delete
  11. Thanks for co-hosting this month. I'm glad you found IWSG, jumpped in and really connected. Thanks for sharing your sales. I like the face mask picture. I want that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always so much fun connecting with new people! I wish I could remember where I got the mask. I could be making a living off being the middle (wo)man!!

      Delete
  12. I wasn't expecting to find my people, either, when I started blogging. It was a pleasant surprise to meet so many great people and to build friendships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writer is such a solitary business and those who don't write can't commiserate. Here, everyone is your champion!

      Delete
  13. Love the mask! Happy Valentine's Day and Thanks for co-hosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy V-Day (forgot that was coming up!) and you are welcome!

      Delete
  14. Such a warm post. Thankyou for co-hosting and for those lovely words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heart-felt! It's a warm and wonderful place to be!

      Delete
  15. I rely on the knowledge that the IWSG has got me, and it's never let me down. The support is so firm. I'm glad you're a part of it too! Thanks so much for co-hosting this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! It's so much fun meeting new people.

      Delete
  16. Great blog! A little history, a little selling, and lots of fun! Cute mask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana!! I always love co-hosting. I meet so many more people as well as my tried and true writer pals, like you!

      Delete
  17. Love the mask :-) Thanks for sharing your story and stories. @samanthabwriter from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have bought a bunch of those masks for giveaways . . . but who knew we'd still need them?

      Delete
  18. I'm with you in loving IWSG and the friends I've gained. I'm not a great blogger. I don't feel I have much of interest to say, but I do it anyway and am always grateful when folks drop by to read (and comment!) Thanks so much for co-hosting today! See, I should follow your example and push my new release, but I didn't even think about it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, introduce that title as a subliminal message instead of a slap upside the head stating "Read my Book!" Since I don't don't much blogging, I try to tuck those "Oh, by the way...s" in where I can. You know, just in case they're on Amazon and think "Who do I know that has a new title out?" It could happen!

      Delete
  19. Yay for your sale and thanks for co-hosting! I've long since given up trying to sell anything since it takes me so darn long to write. But the friendships I've made are worth it to keep on blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've come to depended upon social interaction online almost as much as actual keyboard time to keep me centered and sane. Yes, it's the friendships!!

      Delete
  20. Oh, my! I love that mask. Thank you so much for co hosting. Selling books is an admirable goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Admirable but not the only. I was surprised to find that mentoring and interacting with other authors was just as important as writing time to keeping the ole brain pan firing on all cylinders!

      Delete
  21. OMG, the mask! Love. I create content for others. I feel this takes away from my own stuff, or maybe it's one of many myriad of excuses. Great post. Thank you for co-hosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Adrienne! Creating, in any form, is sharpening all the tools in your writing kit. Sometimes I have to get outside my own work to get a fresh perspective.

      Delete
  22. Meant to say -my- not -many. Happy IWSG Day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's funny, but I think a bunch of us started with the intention of selling books, only to find the value was very different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At different times, we need different things. Right now, interaction is more valuable to me than the actual bottomline.

      Delete
  24. That's a great mask. It's great to find your people, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! We are a unique and varied tribe of inspiration and dedication.

      Delete
  25. Yes Blogging friends are our writer family. As J Lenni Dorner said, the mask is wonderful. I wanted it immediately. Thanks for co hosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to put that mask under lock and key! Search writing masks and a bunch of fun things will come up. Kept me business for at least hour!

      Delete
  26. You've reminded me that no matter the intention, the experience can lead to unexpected blessings! Although your blog intention was to sell books, you got richer with friends, too. So true about the blogging community here at IWSG I see!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I remember exactly how I found this group--you! You suggested I check it out and, oh, am I grateful you did. This group has been such a godsend. So many friends who read my other posts, too. Thanks for cohosting this month. Fun, right?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for co-hosting this month, Nancy! I hope that you enjoyed yourself. Love your mask, btw. Wishing you lots of success with your books!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you, Louise (my mom's name, too!). Right back atcha!

    ReplyDelete
  30. One day I hope to get involved in live writers' activities. For now, blogging is my lifeline to the writing world. Thanks for co-hosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it! Zoom was something I resisted (something about looking at your own face as you talk . . .) but it's been a real lifeline to the outside world. And to think, it started with helping my grandguy with his schoolwork early on in the pandemic!

      Delete
  31. Thanks for co-hosting last month! I love that mask! So true. And writing does feel very solitary!

    ReplyDelete