IWSG: When They Pry my Cold Dead Fingers from the Keys!

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Wednesday, July 07, 2021

IWSG: When They Pry my Cold Dead Fingers from the Keys!


Our Insecure Writers Support Group’s optional question for July is thought provoking: “What would make you quit writing?”

All of the road blocks that come to mind, I’ve already run into during my 30+ years as a published author (not to mention those that came before that first contract). To name a few of those Things That Want to Make You Quit:
  • Rejections – Check.
  • Stalled projects – Check.
  • Lose agent – Double check.
  • Line you write for closes – Multiple checks.
  • Genre you write for tanks – Multiple checks, which is why I’ve written in so many of them.
  • New baby – Check. Book 3 due same day as son two, and both were early!
  • Young kids at home – Double check. I wrote while they napped or were playing outside within earshot. Mom’s with kids can hear through walls!
  • Lose editor – Check.
  • Return to the work force (after 15 years of mom duty) – Check. Got up at 4:30 a.m. to get my pages in before the drive to my law offices where working the desk gave me plenty of new ideas!
  • Divorce (after 24 years), sale of house and move into apartment – Check. Stressful but still doable.
  • Surgery – Check. Carpal tunnel and two knee replacements.
  • Lack of motivation – Check. Rx of sleep in, take a day or two off for whining, reading, binge watching, and relaxation then schedule a back to work date. Ideas swarming by then.
  • Well of ideas runs dry – Naw! Never happen. All I have to do is look in my old idea file and I have enough storylines, series ideas, and character sketches to last two lifetimes.
  • Technology – Check. My first books were written long hand then typed on a manual typewriter using correction ribbon! Eight books were saved on 5¼ “ disks! To reissue my first 20+ books, I’d have to have them professionally scanned. This old dog hates learning new tricks . . . but I do them.
  • Self-publishing – Check. Thank goodness for my virtual assistant who handles conversions and my critique partner who is a phenomenal cover artist! I do love doing the promo!
  • Lack of advances – Check. Going from five figure advances and multibook contracts to self-publishing really hit the savings account hard but it didn’t seem to make a difference to those stories that needed telling.
I’ve come to terms with all of the above and they don’t deter me from sitting down at the keyboard. The one thing that I have a hard time getting past that takes some of the joy out of what I do has four letters – F-R-E-E. Working hard to produce the best possible product only to have the market flooded with an endless supply of horribly written, unedited dreck may someday be this writer’s final straw. When readers sniff at paying $0.99 for a book that should have sold for $6.99+ and say why pay when they can get books for free? . . . sigh! That’s a hard one to swallow. Readers who don’t value a professionally written book might be that bridge too far.

Here’s hoping a discerning audience will never become a thing of the past!


Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time.The awesome co-hosts for the July 7th posting of the IWSG will be Pat Garcia, Victoria Marie Lees, and Louise – Fundy Blue!

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Twitter hashtag is #IWSG


20 comments

  1. Yes, it's hard when readers don't want to pay even 99 cents for a book. It sounds like you've gone through many of the possible hurdles and still have continued to write. It's great that you've had such a long career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm stubborn and ornery . . . and I can't imagine doing anything else!

      Delete
  2. After seeing that list, writers have no excuses outside of death! I can't imagine typing stories on a typewriter now with no way to save them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing them long hand . . . in the hot backyard while watching two kids in the sandbox . . . then typing them by hand on a manual with no way to save them!

      Delete
  3. You’re a writing warrior, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your list of 'problems' I can relate to a couple but wow you're determined! And I've had the 'technology changes' problem from the first books to the current. I even bought extra 'hardware' to be able to read those old discs and they were already a transfer (or two) from the originals, lol. Sometimes I wish they would quit 'improving' things. And as Chrys said, 'you are a warrior!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our computer geek from work was able to access a few of them but most disks were corrupted and unreadable. Sigh . . . Upgrades are the bane of my existence!

      Delete
  5. You are amazing, Nancy! PERSISTENT! I let life sideline me too many times, but now is my writing time. I am always in awe of people like you who wrote no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the voices in my head . . . really! The characters won't stop nagging me. And that's not a bad thing.

      Delete
  6. i love your graphic! I adore it! Are there any more excuses left to be had? LOL Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana! I love my Deposit Photo subscription. I'm sure I can find a few more problems to overcome. There never seems to be a shortage!

      Delete
  7. Hmmm... Some of those checks I've experienced, some I know I will eventually have to experience. Sigh. All I can say is that so far they haven't gotten me down. Glad to hear they haven't gotten you down either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The things we willingly suffer for art's sake!

      Delete
  8. Love the image of the bones on the keyboard, Nancy. More power to you! What a comprehensive list of troubles and distractions from writing. I've had some of those, too. I'd love to say I have an editor waiting for my next story or college memoir. But no. I just keep trying to stay positive. All best to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love to say I have one waiting, too. But I do love self-pubbing! Kind of a control freak.

      Delete
  9. The writing and reading industry sure has changed a lot of the years. Thanks for sharing your 'checks'. Wow, that's a lot to go through. And writing has been there to sustain you throughout. That's very uplifting to know.

    Keep those words flowing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days it seems like they're running up hill . . . but at least they're not dammed!

      Delete
  10. Cold, dead fingers off the keyboard made me laugh out loud! You've been through it all, oh my gosh. And still come out with those fingers hitting the keys. That's inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been through it and expect there to be more to come. Bring it on!!

      Delete