IWSG: Writing Stresses and Delights

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Wednesday, December 01, 2021

IWSG: Writing Stresses and Delights


Writing, like life, is full of ups and downs. If you’re a writer, you’re either worrying about your word count, your hero’s GMC, how you’re going to coerce time at the keyboard or what the next scene needs in order to move the plot forward . . . or you’re in the Zone, with page counts ticking by like mileage on your car and characters gabbing away in your head faster than you can type. There’s rarely a neutral zone. As writers, we’re either actively writing, thinking about what we should be writing, or worrying about why we aren’t writing. What a frustrating job! But oh, the benefits.

First the stresses, some real, some products of a frantically spinning mind. Some you can deal with and manipulate, some are just set in stone facts of life. Deciding which goes a long way toward learning to live with them. The sooner we know the difference, the sooner we can establish a way to cope with them and move on to that next page. Know thy enemy. Finding time to write was my biggest problem when I started out with a now ex-husband who opposed my writing but loved my royalty checks, two small, curious and into everything boys, a household to manage, and then, a 9-to-5 added to the mix. I could drive myself crazy, give up, or I could find the path of least resistance to see my goals accomplished. I couldn’t change the family dictates (well, actually I finally did – with a divorce!) so I adapted my schedule to find those precious hours – in my case, at 4:30 a.m. every morning. I got those pages in and on time. I searched out those precious hours of computer time and when not actively writing, I was researching or reading to up my game. I discovered the things that stressed me were things I could handle. The things I couldn’t change, I accepted or found a way to work around them. And that led to the delights!

I LOVE being a writer! I cherish my time alone with words and images and characters who live first in my mind and then on the page. I live to plot! I can’t help myself. I’m always spinning a new story in my head. One of my favorite occasions was meeting with my critique group (something that’s been on hiatus this past year) to fuel that flame. My relationship with words is a privately enjoyed thing. Just me and that story unfolding a page at a time. It’s never been the public attention or the numbers or bragging rights. It’s sitting alone in front of the screen, reading back that last paragraph and saying to myself, “Damn, that’s good! I wish I’d written that . . . Oh yeah. I did.”

The ups and downs. You can’t appreciate the one without the other. Here’s hoping you’ve got an equal balance or, better yet, more of the first! And did anyone else notice the date is 12121? Whoa!



Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time.The awesome co-hosts for the December 1st posting of the IWSG will be PJ Colando, Diane Burton, Louise – Fundy Blue, Natalie Aguirre, and Jacqui Murray!

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Twitter hashtag is #IWSG

  

To join the IWSG Blog Hop and view the List of Hop Participants!



15 comments

  1. I can totally relate to the stresses and joys of being a writer. You really nailed it. And I used to have to squeeze in writing time like you when I worked and was taking care of my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Retirement has opened up a wonderful window of time buuuuut comes with the lack of structure.

      Delete
  2. After so many years and so many books, you've mastered both sides of writing - well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weeeeell, not mastered but harnessed. It still runs away with me more often than I'd like.

      Delete
  3. No, I didn't notice the date. Wow. You've managed the highs and lows of publishing. Like you, I love the "alone" time with my stories. Haven't had much of that lately. Hang in there. Keep writing those wonderful stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hanging in but wish I was hanging out with my writing pals. Virtually is better than nothing, though!!

      Delete
  4. Hi,

    I too love being a writer and I love being alone. I like knowing that if I want to write all night I can or if I want to get up at three in the morning to write, it is okay. That's a beautiful feeling.

    Take care and I wish you all the best.
    Have a Merry Christmas and a safe crossover into 2022.

    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My home office is in a separate upstairs area of our house so I have the luxury of doing my own thing any time I want. Usually very early and rarely late.

      Delete
  5. Everything you said! I loved and can relate to, "My relationship with words is a privately enjoyed thing. ...reading back that last paragraph and saying to myself, 'Damn, that’s good! I wish I’d written that . . . Oh yeah. I did.'" Laugh out loud funny and nodding my head at the same time. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your post, Nancy! I love being a writer too. It fills my heart every time I write. Wishing you fulfillment in writing and a happy holiday season. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancy, I loved the energy in your post! Your writing life has parallels with mine. A husband, now also ex, whose career were more important than my writing and three wonderful girls, who I gladly made the centre of my universe. But write I did, and now I have so much more time to do so. Happy IWSG day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to meet a fellow writing soul mate! Yay, us!!

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful, positive post! For me, finding the energy and self-discipline to write are always the biggest challenges. I just have to make myself sit down and start. Once I do, the joy comes, and all is well.

    ReplyDelete