IWSG: It’s Out of This World!

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Wednesday, July 06, 2022

IWSG: It’s Out of This World!



Our IWSG question for July is: “If you could live in any book world, which one would you choose?”

One of the greatest things about being a multi-genre writer is getting to write yourself into any time, place, or situations you choose! The Wild West? Yee Haw, been there. Post-Civil War? I’ve walked that desolate road back home where nothing remains of the world you left behind. I’ve dealt into an inside straight on a river boat, felled timber in Upper Michigan, sailed with pirates in the Caribbean, hunted vampires through the centuries, and changed into a shapeshifter . . . all from the safety of my imagination at my office computer. Would I want to walk in the shoes of any of my characters, live their lives, endure their dramas? Ummmm, no, thank you. I’m perfectly content to be both voyeur and puppet master. A mental vacay is one thing, but walking the walk, smelling the smells, experiencing all the situation and emotions I put my characters through . . . I’ll pass. I’m not an adventurer, I’m a dreamer. That’s why my titles are fiction, not biographical.

If I want to experience a different past, present or future from my own snugly boring one, I’ll happily hitchhike with my favorite authors and their characters for a mental journey. When the writing is good, the plot is riveting, and character come to life . . . I AM living in that world . . . until the final page. And when I find myself in a world of my own making that I can’t bear to leave . . . I’ll make it into a series!


I just got the rights back to my “By Moonlight” shape-shifter series and am currently reading through all fifteen (!) of them so I can come up with new cover concepts for the twelve I’ll be reissuing. I’ve “lived” in that world for over fourteen years with characters who are almost like family (a very strange and dysfunctional family who’d liven up any holiday get together!), so I guess I could say I know their world almost as well as I know my own – perhaps better since I control theirs (most of the time!). Would I want to sit down on that side porch overlooking the bayou with them? I’m thinking . . . maybe not. THAT world wouldn’t be one I’d like to spend my retirement years in, no matter how much I enjoy the mental visits! I like my reality predictably boring and will happily leave the adventures up to my characters!

How about you? Where would you like to “escape” to if it were possible?



Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. The awesome co-hosts for the July 5th posting of the IWSG will be J Lenni Dorner, Janet Alcorn, PJ Colando, Jenni Enzor, and Diane Burton!

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Twitter hashtag is #IWSG

  

To join the IWSG Blog Hop and view the List of Hop Participants!



22 comments

  1. Congrats on getting your rights back to your books! I like a quieter life than for the characters I write about too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Return of rights is that chance to fix the errors you found the second it got into print!

      Delete
  2. Cool you got your rights back. Yes, most worlds are fun to visit but we wouldn't want to live there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like getting reacquainted with long lost relatives . . . the ones you actually like!!

      Delete
  3. Hi, Congrats on getting your series back. I'm quite sure you're going to come up with a great cover. Good luck!
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly, find a good cover is harder than writing the whole darn book!! But I have patience . . .

      Delete
  4. I did the same thing. I got my rights back and then went on to edit and correct mistakes. Wishing you much success with new covers. I'm sure they'll be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a fun journey! But then I'm kind of a control freak . . .

      Delete
  5. I'll add my congrats on getting the rights back. What fun to come up with new covers. In a way, I agree about not wanting to live all the time in the worlds we create. I'd miss my family. But, oh, what fun it would be to fly a starship into the unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a wonderful aspect of writing in so many genres. And congrats on getting your rights back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good on you for writing across so many genres! I guess you already live in many different worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post, Nancy, and I couldn't agree more. Also, I hadn't even thought of the smells. I don't want to live in any time or place without modern plumbing and sewage systems!

    Congrats on getting your rights back! And how fun to reread those earlier books. I bet you're having a blast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found cringeworthy errors that somehow made it through the publisher's eye but then there's the surprise "Wow, that was awesome!! I wrote that!"

      Delete
  9. It is great you got your rights back. Always nice to have full control.
    I love your statement: "I’m not an adventurer, I’m a dreamer." Me too. I'm an armchair traveler. I immerse myself in the fictional worlds from the safety of my quiet apartment. No wars. No alien invaders. No hostile magic. Hot water and good medicine can't be overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm laughing out loud when you don't want the story to end so you create a series. Too funny. But, so real!!! Congrats on getting your rights back. Not always an easy thing to achieve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still steaming that my then agent didn't include a strict reversion clause for the first 3 books. I'll never get them back.

      Delete
  11. Congrats on getting your rights back! Best of luck for your cover, may you get a fabulous idea :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing covers for 12 books and just have one stubborn title that won't cooperate . . .

      Delete