IWSG: Paranormal Genre

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Wednesday, October 05, 2022

IWSG: Paranormal Genre


Our question for October is: What do you consider the best characteristics of your favorite genre? Awesome question . . . and timely, considering the month!

I LOVE the paranormal genre! Why paranormal? Because it crosses over into all (or most) of the main fiction categories, bending them in a new and woo-woo direction. Historical, romance, contemporary, mystery, teen, mainstream, suspense—all can find a dark and stormy home within the realm of the otherworldly and unexplained. They take the normal and make it out of this world . . . by making a scary unknown relatable to ordinary dreams, desires, and fantasies, and safe to approach for sissies, like me, who still have night lights and overthink the slightest unidentified sound or shadow. Think of it as Out of the Ordinary . . . with Heart!

And as an author, there’s always the chance of breaking out into the multimedia world of television/movies, from True Blood, American Gods, The Vampire Diaries, The Witcher, and Ghost to Interview With The Vampire, Mortal Instruments, A Game of Thrones, and A Discovery of Witches (and Twilight, sigh). Hey, it could happen!

I just so happen to have one of my first paranormal romances on sale in honor of the spooky season. MIDNIGHT GAMBLE was one of the first vampire romances to appear when the genre exploded back in the ‘90s. It’s set in the Roaring ‘20s in Atlantic City with a heroine who stalks those who hunt the undeserving, and has been reissued (with a great cover!) along with a good deal of my backlist by BelleBooks. For a taste, stop by @WeWriWa this month for tasty snippets.


What keeps me glued to the pages? It’s characters I can root for and action I can’t put down. How ‘bout you?




Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. The awesome co-hosts for the October 5th posting of the IWSG will be Tonja Drecker, Victoria Marie Lees, Mary Aalgaard, and Sandra Cox!

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Twitter hashtag is #IWSG

  

To join the IWSG Blog Hop and view the List of Hop Participants!



16 comments

  1. You've really nailed all the good things about paranormal stories. I love genres that can mix with other genres like paranormal can. I'm glad to see more paranormal stories out there after publishers seemed to stop publishing many of them for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Genres wax and wan but you can always find a good book. That's why I love a mix of traditional and self-pubbed books. There are SO many fantastic stories out there that never found a home or are now being reissued by the authors themselves. An embarrassment of riches!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not my genre, but you're right, there are a ton of series on television in that genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh c'mon, Alex. SciFi and paranormal are cousins! LOL!

      Delete
  4. I agree you can't beat a good paranormal. I don't read them as much as I used to, but still love them. Have a great one, Nancy.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read everything so I cycle back to PNR and Sci-Fi regularly. The only thing I can't read is true crime. I'd never leave my room, let alone the house!

      Delete
  5. Paranormal isn't really my genre, but you've hit on the popularity of the genre and the interesting points that make it so readable. Bravo, Nancy! Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not really my genre of choice, but I can totally understand its appeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it again now and then and you might change your mind!

      Delete
  7. Hi, Nancy! I'm still making the rounds because I was out of town until late Wednesday afternoon. I enjoy reading paranormal books like the Twilight series (Yes, sigh!), and I loved, loved, loved "Game of Thrones!" I'm a sissy, too, and I have a nightlight in our bedroom and a flashlight in my nightstand. For me, any good fiction book has to have heart. Happy creating in this paranormal month.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a good paranormal story! (And yes, I even liked Twilight.) I'm like you--I need characters I can root for and a plot I can't put down--but paranormal elements can add richness and spice to that formula.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the paranormal genre, too. Started watching Ragnarog last night and am hooked! Love the changes on this website!

    ReplyDelete