WeWriWa: It Was Heaven . . . and Hell. TEXAS DESTINY/Dana Ransom

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Sunday, October 01, 2023

WeWriWa: It Was Heaven . . . and Hell. TEXAS DESTINY/Dana Ransom


The books are in the (e-) mail! Finally, I got up the grit to contact my editor at Harlequin/Silhouette to ask if she’d be interested in having me send her the two romantic suspense completes in a potential new series . . . and she replied “Absolutely! Send them!” Both manuscripts are now cozied up in her “In Box” along with prospectives for two more books in the series (never waste an opportunity!). Whew! Now, the really hard part. Waiting . . .

To keep my mind off my email, I’ve decided to revisit the past . . . the waaaay past and another long overdue plan to get reissues of my old Dana Ransom historicals back in print. I’ve been lost in rereading my favorite series set in Texas involving the Bass family . . . and haven’t moved since I opened that first page. I LOVE these books and am more determined than ever to reissue them with a bonus – a NEW book (or more!) in the series featuring the same characters and new family members (who’ve grown up quite nicely) that I’ve been putzing with for years. But first, here’s a sample from Book 2 TEXAS DESTINY which features characters that will play an important role in the new books.

Published: January 1, 1994
Length: 448 Pages

DESTINED TO SAVE HIM

Wounded and left for dead by a band of savage Apaches, Texas Ranger Jack Bass thought his life was over -- until a white woman dressed in Indian clothing suddenly appeared. Before he could learn the identity of this green-eyed angel of mercy, she vanished into the night, leaving him with only the memory of whispered words and a gentle touch...

DESTINED TO LOVE HER

Ever since the terrifying day she was abducted from her husband's home and forced to live among the Apache, Emily Marcus knew she no longer had a place in the white man's world. But she couldn't forget the tender stranger she'd nursed back to life. Now, as fate conspired to bring them together once more, Emily found herself torn between honor and desire -- between vows made long ago and the love she'd risk her very soul to claim....

 The Excerpt 

It was heaven and hell.

The woman in his arms was everything Jack desired – strong, brave, sweet-spirited, and beautiful. Her touch made everything inside him all hot and fluid, like the spring waters at Boquillas. She was the kind of woman a man looked for all his life, and if he was lucky enough to find her, he was smart enough to never let her go. Most of his fellow rangers were happy with the solitary life, content to roll themselves in a blanket under the stars, eat their meals out of a tin, and wash when they started scaring away game. They had no dreams beyond the moment, and most didn’t care if the future lasted fifty years or fifty minutes, but Jack wasn’t like them. He’d come from a solid family background, had seen the love between his mother and Will, between his uncle and Amanda, had held his baby brothers and sister in his arms and had known right then that he wanted children of his own. He wanted the vision Harmon had given him years ago, of looking out over land of his own, a wife and kids beside him, a table to sit at, and the satisfaction of belonging. Heaven was finding the woman to make that dream come true.

Hell was having her belong to someone else.

Almost finished with this reread then on to WILD TEXAS BRIDE. Yee Haw!! And while I’m lost out West, I’ll be busy plotting those new adventures!

What have you been up to??


Weekend Writing Warriors is a weekly hop for everyone who loves to write! Share an 8 to 10 sentence snippet of your writing on Sunday. Visit other participants on the list and read, critique, and comment on their #8sunday posts.

Spread the word, share the love, warriors - Hashtag #8sunday.


Nancy on the Web



5 comments

  1. Nice bit of character revelation. We get such a good picture of what Jack wants--now I want to know how he's going to get it! I've been writing, and moving my daughter back home to start a new job. Never a dull moment! Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were those thoughtful characters who practically wrote themselves (why can't they ALL do that?!). I've been trying to get to office cleaning since a reroofing "project" interrupted my chi - access being through my closet. Still trying to find my floor!!

      Delete
  2. This is Daryl Devore - Blogger won't let me sign in. Not even to my own blog. Great excerpt. It's wonderful that you love your series so much you can't put it down. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great character introspect. Feeling much closer to Jack and agreeing with much of how he feels as well. Best to your reread and release.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like him already! And this line made me smile: wash when they started scaring away game. :-)

    ReplyDelete