WeWriWa: A Family of Legends, beginning with TEMPTATION’S TRAIL

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Sunday, March 10, 2024

WeWriWa: A Family of Legends, beginning with TEMPTATION’S TRAIL


I’ve been down for the past few days with one of those annoying almost spring colds. Not wanting to share with the family, I’ve been self-isolating, reading through the stack of my Bass family Texas historical series (I know – what a chore!) before getting them back out in print . . . and loving every page! Even though I wrote Book 1, TEMPTATION’S TRAIL, in the early early 1990s (before some of you were even alive!), it’s as fresh and exciting now as it was when I was writing it by hand in a well-used notebook that would soon include four more volumes. As soon as the pages are scanned for reediting (This series was submitted pre-computer!) I’ll be getting ready to self-publish them at last! For now, here’s a tease from Book 1, TEMPTATION’S TRAIL

 The Excerpt 

“When you come back through again, I want to leave with you.”

Harmon hooked his thumb beneath the boy’s chin to angle it up. “You want to spell that out a little plainer?”

Jack looked him straight on, his features determined as he claimed, “I don’t want to be a rancher. I don’t belong here. You’re my family, Uncle Harm . . . I want to be like you.”

Harmon drew a breath, then he laughed softly, making Jack stiffen, afraid his ambitions weren’t being taken seriously by this man he idolized.

“Son,” Harm corrected quietly, “you don’t want to be like me. You got everything here a man could want: Family, belonging, ties to the soul and the land. You can’t just tear up those roots and blow off on a wind.”

“But Uncle Harm—”

“Listen! I know you look around and see nothing but hard work and long hours, and you feel like a dog staked out on a short rope just wanting to break loose and run free . . . but once you start running, son, you got no place to go.

. . . and a bit more . . .

“I’d give anything to have what you have—a future so clean and bright it’s like tomorrow’s sunrise, with a chance to grow to be a man like Will, a good man. Don’t you ever sell that off cheap or I won’t even want to know you.”

“But you said I did good, that I could ride with you anytime. Didn’t you mean that?”

Harm cupped the somber face with his palm. “Oh, yeah, I meant it. But you’re not mine to take. This is where you belong. If you want to look up to someone, don’t look to me. I’m nothing. You look to Will, and you’ll learn everything there is to know about being a man. And someday when you’re looking out over your own place, and you got your own house full of a wife and kids, I’ll come by now and again to sit at your table, and you’ll look at me and then at them and you’ll thank God you decided to stay put.”

Now THAT’s a hero! And my favorite of all of them. I had to write four more books just so Harm Bass could weave in and out of them.

How about you? Any old favorites you need to get back into reader hands?


Weekend Writing Warriors is a weekly hop for everyone who loves to write! Share an 8 to 10 sentence snippet of your writing on Sunday. Visit other participants on the list and read, critique, and comment on their #8sunday posts.

Spread the word, share the love, warriors - Hashtag #8sunday.


Nancy on the Web



4 comments

  1. Harm sounds like a great character and I love his name! I hope you're feeling better. It's great to have the opportunity to work on previous books. I'm doing that now, as well. Looking forward to your upcoming releases!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like a family reunion with the hunky side of the family! I'm sure enjoying it. Hope you're having as much fun with yours.

      Delete
  2. Harmon Bass is a fabulous character. I don't blame you for writing more vehicles for him! And I too am getting ready to revise and re-envision my sweet Handful of Hearts series into a steamy version. Got to clear the decks and finish my Welwyn Marriage Wager series first, though. At a writer's retreat this week with the goal of finishing book 4. Hope you feel better, Nancy! Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the excerpt. Wise words to the young man. Often staying put is the dream we seek and never know it. Hope by now you are feeling better. Sorry for the delay in commenting. Been a long week.

    ReplyDelete