IWSG: Still Alive In Five!

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Wednesday, December 07, 2016

IWSG: Still Alive In Five!


In five years, I’ll be retired. Wow. A lot of that depends on the fate of things outside of my control i.e. the government’s TLC of Social Security and Medicare. I’ll have money coming in to (supposedly) feed and house me and insurance (hopefully) to keep me up and running. And, the best, I’ll have all day to do what I love . . . write!

I had the luxury for 15 years of being a stay-at-home mom between age two and high school for my older son. I spent those years (besides doing Scouts, helping with homework and sundry school functions) actively building my writing career, publishing 40 books with Harlequin/Silhouette, Zebra, Avon and ImaJinn. Life was good. My writing life was great. I had no plan other than to write, sell and publish, which I accomplished in volume. Then, as it always does, the publishing market changed, I reentered the work force, still writing, still publishing another 20 books, some traditionally and a few self-pubbed, for the next 15 years. Now, in 5 more, I’ll have gone full circle, back to stay at home (finances willing!) with time to concentrate on career.

What will publishing be like in 5 years? Who knows the way it seems to change by the minute. But one thing I do know is I’ll still have stories to tell – hopefully to an audience. I’ve always thought of writing as my retirement plan, topping off my guaranteed income. To make that viable, I need to stay on top of the market, the tech and more importantly the audience to keep my work relevant and competitive. I’ve made it 30 years by adapting, learning, networking and just plain working. Heck, I’ve got enough back list to fill the next five with reissues! My plan – continue to love what I do. Period. That love has sustained me through the ups and downs of this crazy business and as long as it’s alive, I’ll be at the keyboard at 4:30 a.m. until I retire. Then I get to sleep in . . . probably until 6:30! Now that’s a retirement perk I’m looking forward to!!

Want to help fund that retirement plan? Here’s what’s currently on my shelves . . . a new release and two great bargains!

NEW: PRINCE OF HONOR, Book 1, “House of Terriot”



The hunter becomes the prey, a prisoner to his own desire . . .

Turow . . .

Strong, silent man of integrity content to serve his new king as a prince in the turbulent shape-shifter House of Terriot. A tracker and relentless hunter, he’s used to running trails alone until charged with returning a traitor to their mountain top home to face the unforgiving judgment of their clan. On the run with the bad girl he’s loved forever, the choice between duty and desire has never been more difficult . . . or deadly.

Could the bargain made to save their lives become reality?

Sylvia . . .

Manipulative schemer or victim caught between a mother’s ambition and a rogue prince’s lust for power? Trust is almost as foreign as the idea of love, but to save herself from certain death, she must risk both on the good man who deserves them . . . from someone worthy. Trapped by the only one who believes in her goodness, will she betray him and run for her life . . . or stay and destroy him with a long hidden truth?


Deadly, Damaged, and Delicious!
Brothers too H.o.T. to Handle!

ON SALE: MIDNIGHT ENCHANTMENT $0.99! LOVE’S OWN REWARD $1.99 (until 12-15)








Where will your writing be in 2021?

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time.

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!


Twitter hashtag is #IWSG 

IWSG awesome co-hosts for the December 7th posting will be Jennifer Hawes, Jen Chandler, Nick Wilford, Juneta Key, JH Moncrieff, Diane Burton, and MJ Fifield!

10 comments

  1. It's a lucky person who gets to do what they love - and in this case, it makes for very lucky readers! Love your retirement plan, Nancy! Keep on, Keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't dare stop for fear you'd hunt me down!

      Delete
  2. Continuing to love what you do is the best five-year plan I've heard so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm sticking to it. Life's to short to spend your time on something that doesn't please or gratify you!

      Delete
  3. This is great! More power to you to keep it up until you get to retire and sleep in. This is my first time here and I've joined your blog. Have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Victoria!! It's a great place to be for inspiration and encouragement. I'll have to stop over and greet you properly!

      Delete
  4. I am always so encouraged when I read your posts. I have begun reading some of your books because your success gives me a kick to continue on to my own success.
    All the best.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (((HUGS))), Pat! Nothing I like better than giving a good swift kick. My critique group will confirm that.

      Delete
  5. How wonderful that you'll be retired from one job. I've so thoroughly enjoyed retirement (from the paying job), the freedom to write when I choose, time to enjoy the g'kiddies, and time to travel. Wishing you much success, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait. I love my job but both my bosses will be retiring in 3-5 years. If I can stick it out until they go, I'll be a happy camper.

      Delete