#WeWriWa: The Bed She’d Made . . . An Untarnished Hero

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Sunday, March 21, 2021

#WeWriWa: The Bed She’d Made . . . An Untarnished Hero


Taking a stand to make a point comes with its own risks. You have to be willing to do whatever it takes to defend it if that point is challenged. But what if it’s simply . . . ignored? Which would bring the greatest regret for the heroine in my romantic suspense WIP?

He’d told her with soul baring honesty right from the first that what he saw when he looked at her was everything he’d ever need.

Was that still true?

It was for her. No denying it, no escaping it, no avoiding it. Jimmy Redbone was her past, present, and future . . . and tonight she’d remind him in case he’d forgotten.

Hearing the front door creak open and close below, Willa pressed palms to her belly to stop its quivering. Tonight was only about tonight, a time to reconnect and reawaken all the things that worked so well between them. Tomorrow, they’d sit down for that long overdue conversation to make a path for the future . . . together.

With a deep inhale and shaky gust out, she climbed under the covers and waited.

And waited.

No sounds from below. No bootsteps on the stairs. Nothing.

The house settled into a sigh of silence while she lay on her back, wide-eyed and awake.

Alone in the bed she’d made for herself.

Pride is a funny thing. It clouds what’s really important, what’s ultimately at stake if push comes to shove. My frustrated heroine is spoiling for a fight to confront all the wrongs and fears she’s endured for six long, lonely months. No confrontation means no answers, just a lonely bed and another lonely night with temptation just a floor away. But a reckoning is coming whether she’s ready for it or not.

I’m MORE than ready. I’m just finishing up my last read through before AUH is off to my critique group for BETA reads. While I’m waiting, biting my nails, I’ll be research avenues of publication (EWWW!). I’ve got a long, enjoyable week, staying with one of my critique partners (both of us are fully vaccinated!), to get things figured out and to start deciding on a next project. And maybe an agent/editor . . .

Hope things are brightening up for all of you on these longer, warmer days. I, for one, can’t wait to start basking on the patio.


Weekend Writing Warriors is a weekly hop for everyone who loves to write! Share an 8 to 10 sentence snippet of your writing on Sunday. Visit other participants on the list and read, critique, and comment on their #8sunday posts.

Spread the word, share the love, warriors - Hashtag #8sunday.

18 comments

  1. I feel her hope followed by her sadness and disappointment in this snippet. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a wonderful job of leading down that path of expectation, and then the disappointment. Well done!

    Congrats on the final read-thru. You are a marvel, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, the hard part. Putting it in front of other eyes!

      Delete
  3. Aww, how nice that you're staying with one of your crit partners! I hope you two have a wonderful time together. Best of luck deciding which avenue to pursue in regards to publication. I'll be cheering you on! And as for your heroine...maybe she needs to knock three times on the ceiling. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started this book when I spent a week with her last fall. Something about a quiet household with only two writers . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, the disappointment just radiates off the page, so well done. I feel sorry for her, being all ready to confront him and sort things out and...of course I don't get why she doesn't go to him (but maybe she will)...pride, I suppose. Excellent excerpt, got me thinking about all kinds of possibilities for this couple. Can't wait to see where you take them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean!! Pride, of course. But it won't get the best of them.

      Delete
  6. Ouch, that hurts. She had to go through so much to get that point, and then it wasn't. This really ramps up the emotional turmoil of the romance. Great snippet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make 'em wait. My favorite advice to fall back on from when I was learning.

      Delete
  7. And I wonder why he doesn't come upstairs. Is he disinclined to have it out with her? Is he afraid of the confrontation? He had to know there'd be one if he came back like this. Why is he back? Do we get to see his thought processes about this next week? Excellent snippet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, he has a reason . . . a painful one, and not in an emotional way.

      Delete
  8. From optimism to the depths of despair. Poor girl. I could really feel her pain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The anticipation and the let down... what a moving snippet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. This book is a rollercoaster of ups and downs.

      Delete
  10. That last line hurt my heart. You are so cruel to your characters. Shame on you. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The best laid plan, etc. Not coming up those stairs is definitely his loss.

    Sorry for the late visit – I was in deadline hell. But I got the MS in on time!

    ReplyDelete