#WeWriWa: What Did She Want? W-I-P

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Sunday, March 14, 2021

#WeWriWa: What Did She Want? W-I-P


Just finished the edit of my contemporary suspense, AN UNTARNISHED HERO and am getting ready for the hard swallow that precedes sending it to BETA readers. While I’m waiting, I need to research markets and whether I want to go the agent route or self-pub. Decisions, decisions. But mine aren’t nearly as critical as those my heroine has to make when her long absent husband returns home without any explanations.

Well, Willa asked herself as she stalked about the bedroom, wrestling blood-stained sheets off their big bed, wasn’t this what she’d wanted? He was here, within arms’ reach, so tempting her sports bra could barely restrain a lunging heart. Injured pride was a small price to pay for the soothing stroke of his voice and low music of his laughter. Dignity too high a fence to put around a body needing the security of his embrace wrapped tight around her.

Linens clutched to her heaving chest, wadded up as tight as her emotions, she paused to slow those jerking breaths.

What was she going to do about Jimmy Redbone, errant husband, and man of her every good or bad dream?

Willa forced an achy inhale, releasing it in a fragile shiver.

What did she want from him, from their relationship moving forward, not looking back? If pride had its way, she’d march down the narrow hall, throw clean linens on one of the extra beds, and toss his sparse clothing into distant dresser drawers. That might soothe the hurt prickling beneath her indignation, but it wouldn’t ease the empty pain of nights alone.

I’ve had such fun taking my sparring yet made for each other couple from tense reconnection to that ultimately satisfying HEA. Now comes the hard part – the business end of writing. It’s like going from music to math . . . Thank goodness it’s a drinking holiday week (not that I indulge in anything stronger than caffeine!). We’ll need it after losing that hour of sleep here in Michigan.


Ahhhh, St. Patrick’s Day! A bittersweet reminder of that longed for vacation to the Emerald Isle, now rescheduled for the fourth COVID extension to three weeks in September. Sigh. This time, I’ll go even if I have to walk . . . well, maybe not ALL the way there. I’ve been teasing myself with packing lists and new travel accessories now that I’m twice vaccinated as well as passported. Those five months will just FLY by . . . but not without me, this time! What dream destinations have you been pining for?

Off to visit your pages!

Go Green, fellow Warriors and Happy Writing!!


Weekend Writing Warriors is a weekly hop for everyone who loves to write! Share an 8 to 10 sentence snippet of your writing on Sunday. Visit other participants on the list and read, critique, and comment on their #8sunday posts.

Spread the word, share the love, warriors - Hashtag #8sunday.

29 comments

  1. You paint her struggle so well. To give in to the aching need of her man or cling to a moral high ground she may not want at all. Great conflict in this snippet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenna. High ground is often lonely ground.

      Delete
  2. Great snippet, with the very believable conflicting emotions for the heroine. Yes, all the business aspects of being a writer are not the most fun part, I agree, but necessary LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on finishing this story. I've loved every snippet I've read thus far, including this one! It's so easy (and fun!) climbing inside the heads of your characters. As far as dream destinations, all I want is to be on an island somewhere--anywhere. Hot sun, ocean breeze, all-you-can-eat coconut shrimp. Not a lot to ask for, right? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coconut shrimp . . . salty breezes. Yeah, not so much here in Michigan. But I can remember when . . .

      Delete
  4. Beautiful job of showing her internal conflict. Her feelings are palpable. :-)

    Happy St. Pat's day to you. I've got my fingers crossed that your trip in September goes off without a hitch.

    I dunno where my dream destination is. I've got a few on my bucket list. Mallory Square at sunset is very high on the list. Crater Lake is, too. Figures--opposite corners. Tough to get it all in one trip. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa! One big trip a year. Is that tooooo much to ask? I'm owed an extra one now and I will collect!

      Delete
  5. What a place to be stuck, between pride and love. Oh, the tortures we put ourselves through.

    My plan to visit my nephew in South Caroline was scuttled by the shutdowns, so I'd like to go when I can, although S. Carolina isn't exactly my first choice of destination. Too bad he's not going to graduate school in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I was fortunate the year before last to have a friend's destination wedding in New Orleans. Sigh . . .

      Delete
  6. Oh, that is such a big decision she must make. And once she decides, it will be hard to go back. Congratulations on finishing the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica. My happy dance is more like a weary reel.

      Delete
  7. Great description of her varying emotions about her husband.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A man of every good and bad dream - doesn't that say it all. Great snippet. Good luck with story next steps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so cruel to your characters. :) Great snippet. Enjoy the anticipation for your trip to Ireland. I hope covid will let you go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Di! This time I believe we'll be good to go!

      Delete
  10. What a big decision she must make. You drew me right in and want to know more.

    Dream vacation. I'd love to back to Ireland again. One of my favorite holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to make that dream vacay become real!

      Delete
  11. Her ambivalence about Jimmy gives this scene a lot of internal tension. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great snippet. I can really feel how conflicted she is. And good luck with the beta readers and your decision on how to publish your next manuscript.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent. I really liked this scene, and the rolling emotions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! Rolling emotions . . . I suddenly had a flashback to Tina Turner!

      Delete
  14. Great emotion. I'd tell him to take a hike if it were me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Best of luck with the story and the vacation! One or another, both will happen...eventually.

    ReplyDelete