WeWriWa: New Year Recap – By Any Other Name: Lauren Giddings

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Sunday, January 16, 2022

WeWriWa: New Year Recap – By Any Other Name: Lauren Giddings

WeWriWa: New Year Recap – By Any Other Name: Lauren Giddings


A New Year is a time to reflect on times past, so that’s what I’m going to do for the next few weeks – look back upon the path taken since my first publication in 1987, through the various pseudonyms/genres I’ve worked my way through. Though pen names make you feel like a secret agent concealing your own identity, it helped me get more books out per year through various publishing houses . . . and after market crashes, rebuild my career several times over. But let’s start at the beginning . . . with that call from editor Carin Ritter at Zebra Books saying she wanted to buy my Regency-set historical. Here’s a taste...


Published: February 18, 2018
Length: 424 Pages
Calmly, Connor drew a primed pistol from the folds of his great coat, sighting down the barrel at the rapidly disappearing figures. His single shot was well placed. With a short cry, the second thief tumbled from the saddle. The horseman drew up, hesitating a moment before the sight of pursuing figures urged him to spur his mount away.

Pistol trained on the sprawled boy, Connor knelt, features harsh and without mercy. Only once had anyone robbed him, when he’d been reeling drunk and a blow to the head left him senseless in a muddy gutter on one cold night. Recalling that instance left little sympathy for the man he’d laid out.

The bullet had struck the footpad in the shoulder, leaving a darkening circle on the crude cloth coat. Cautiously, the assailant was rolled over, but he remained motionless. Connor pulled open his coat to view the bloody exit his shot had taken, then he placed his hand over the blackguard’s heart.

With a breath of surprise, Connor drew back in some confusion.

(and the rest . . .)

“Conn? What is it?” George asked, crouching down beside him. “Did you kill the wretch?”

Reluctantly, Connor reached up to tug loose the mask, then said hoarsely, “Damn, George, I’ve shot a woman!”
In 2018, Tell-Tale Publishing reissued long out of print SWEET TEMPEST w/a Lauren Giddings, updating the modest cover (which didn’t reflect the fact that it was a somewhat steamy historical not the chaste Regency readers were used to up to that point! Mine was one of the first sizzlers!) in a lush trade paperback edition and, for the first time in audio and e-format. What a difference 30years make!


Lauren Giddings (a pseudonym chosen at a moment’s notice by combining the girl’s name I would have used if I didn’t have two boys and the oft-mistaken spelling of my last name on junk mail) appeared only once more with The Bartered Bride in 1989. It was my final visit to that much-loved era as my Dana Ransom western historicals by the same publisher far outsold them. That’s business but writing these two books was my pleasure!

On to Dana Ransom next week . . . Until then, I hope you all are enjoying a happy, safe, and not as cold as my New Year! (1-degrees this morning!)


Weekend Writing Warriors is a weekly hop for everyone who loves to write! Share an 8 to 10 sentence snippet of your writing on Sunday. Visit other participants on the list and read, critique, and comment on their #8sunday posts.

Spread the word, share the love, warriors - Hashtag #8sunday.


Nancy on the Web



24 comments

  1. It's always good to reflect at the beginning of the new year. How interesting that you've used more than one pen name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Authors had no choice back in the day. If you went with a new publisher, they wanted you to write under a name exclusive to them and often wouldn't LET you use your own name. Thank goodness times have changed!

      Delete
  2. That was definitely unexpected! I wonder how that will change the situation for him. Plus, is she dead?Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a paranormal (LOL) so she'll recover - at his London abode and it'll change everything for both of them - in good, if frustrating, ways!

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, I love this walk down memory lane! What a fun way to share snippets from the past. I can't wait for the next glimpse into your writing history. Happy New Year to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor guy. What a horrible shock to discover his victim was female.
    Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - and the indignity of being fleeced by a female!!

      Delete
  5. That realization is perhaps less shocking now that it would have been then, but you've done a good job of showing his consternation. You've stopped short of answering the question I really want to know - is she still alive?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds so good. I'm excited to read your "old" books. I didn't even know you when you were Laura Giddings. Happy to meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was me - with a toddler and preschooler, writing by hand and typing manuscripts on am electric typewriter!

      Delete
  7. That took me by surprise too! Was not expecting that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this! Thanks for sharing your reflections on the beginning! That last line is a zinger, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This definitely makes me wonder what will happen when she regains consciousness. I enjoyed the excerpt, and the new cover is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was a different time for sure. I really enjoyed the excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great beginning for a Regency--the hero shoots the heroine! I'm so intrigued! Just downloaded to my phone! Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun to read a snippet from the old Regency novel...well done of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually my fourth completed manuscript which opened the door to selling two of the others.

      Delete