WeWriWa: “In a Nutshell” . . . A RISK-TAKING RANGER

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Sunday, May 22, 2022

WeWriWa: “In a Nutshell” . . . A RISK-TAKING RANGER


I’m enjoying a nice cool rain after days of sweat equity putting my patio garden together (my plants are loving it, too!). So, now it’s time to put BICHOK (Butt in Chair Hands on Keys) and work on my W-I-P. Here’s a snippet from my new romantic suspense . . .

“Could two people be any farther apart than the two of us?”

“No.” That single word was almost snatched away by the streamlining wind before he could catch it. “Or closer together.”

“Want to explain that?”

“What, that isolation has nothing to do with where you live, what you do or how many people you surround yourself with?” She turned to him then, dark gaze sucking his up for a dangerously long time until a curve in the road demanded his attention.

When he remained staring straight ahead, jaw working on whatever he meant to say, she prodded, “Tell me I’m wrong, Zayn.You can’t, can you, because you know me the same way I know you, right down to those ugly things we don’t share with anyone else.”

“Like two peas from the same damaged pod.”

(. . . and a bit more . . .)

He felt rather than saw her flinch. When he was able to take his eyes of the twisty road again, Zayn couldn’t read anything from her motionless figure and averted face. She’d remained silent for so long he didn’t think she’d respond. Probably, she considered it beneath her to qualify her existence to him. To someone so unsophisticated and dull.

Then she spoke, tone flat and glassy.

“Know me so well, do you? Just a shallow socialite filling her time doing good deeds for the needy to prop up her insatiable ego and use for a write off. Yep, that’s me in a nutshell. What a shrewd and insightful investigator you are.”
Another break from writing came by talking about BICHOKs with the Greater Detroit Romance Writers group who invited me to speak on “How to Produce Without Excuse.” Talk about technical difficulties! I couldn’t find the original speech that I gave some years ago and had to scramble to put a new one together three hours before the presentation. Then when I was getting ready to Zoom in, my laptop decided to update to Windows 11 forcing me to use my big monitor which doesn’t have a camera. So, I could see them, but they couldn’t see me. Sigh . . . At least my own speech made me feel guilty enough to get back to my writing, so I guess it did its job! I’m at 54K and really loving it.

Getting ready for the BIG event – celebrating the start of another birthday month by a trip to the theater for Doctor Strange and popcorn, then on the day itself, prepping to binge ObiWan and Stanger Things on TV. After the COVID decade (seemed like a decade!) it’s so nice to be entertained by new things again.

Speaking of new entertaining new things . . . I’m off to enjoy your tidbits.


Weekend Writing Warriors is a weekly hop for everyone who loves to write! Share an 8 to 10 sentence snippet of your writing on Sunday. Visit other participants on the list and read, critique, and comment on their #8sunday posts.

Spread the word, share the love, warriors - Hashtag #8sunday.


Nancy on the Web



18 comments

  1. Oh, I can definitely feel the tension between them at the end there. I wonder where things are going to go from here. Could be bad or very hot! Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe a little of both? They've got lots of personal baggage to unpack!

      Delete
  2. Tense - tense scene. The "he felt the flinch" line - great.
    And of course Windows would update at the most inappropriate time. They have algorithms for that! LOL
    Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed the snippet, which definitely had a romantic suspense feel to it, very atmospheric! Well done...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm guessing that the super-sleuth might have a few things wrong?? lol

    I'm still working on my plants, fighting the chickens, the cats, and the deer. I just bought a half gallon of Bobbex. Was to be the solution to the deer eating my 100+ hosta plants. Sigh... I could smell it before I opened the sealed shipping box containing the sealed plastic bag containing the sealed jug. It might not be the answer because the deer aren't the only ones with noses. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a few? It's always a battle with the plants! Mine is with the squirrels who love to bury their lunch in my planter boxes.

      Delete
  5. Lots of tension here. Maybe he's wrong about her. Elaine Cantrell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed the snippet! Your presentation sounds useful (I could use some motivating). Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet! Yes, we could all use a push about now (mine is to go to the gym!).

      Delete
  7. Ooh - a lover's spat? I love the 'glassy' tone of her voice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes, what a scene! Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. “Like two peas from the same damaged pod.” That's a great line! I loved the excerpt, and the patio garden looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so relaxing to sit out there now that the work is done.

      Delete