WeWriWa: Someone to Come Home to . . . A RISK-TAKING RANGER

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Sunday, August 14, 2022

WeWriWa: Someone to Come Home to . . . A RISK-TAKING RANGER

WeWriWa: Someone to Come Home to . . . A RISK-TAKING RANGER


FINALLY! After over a month of avoiding a glance over at my work desk where NO work was being accomplished on my new W-I-P, I took some bold action. I made a call to one of my critique partners, packed up my writing materials and loungewear and took a drive across the state to a quiet retirement village with no distractions (other than stranger than fiction MSNBC coverage) and a dining table that would become my creative zone. No family and herd of cats wondering when dinner was going to be, no constant sound of distracting footsteps heading up to my office. Just early morning quiet except for the sound of the words in my head and my hands on the keys. And finally . . . pages becoming chapters. Here’s a peek . . .

Family. That idea played through her thoughts as she tried to enjoy the meal. Someone to come home to, someone to worry over and care about, someone with whom to share the highs and lows of the day and dreams of tomorrow, to laugh with, to cry over, to hold during the long hours of the evening, and lay beside in the dark. She couldn’t deny how well Zayn Bass fit that role . . . except for two things.

One, he wasn’t looking for a life partner. Sharing anything beyond a few hours of pleasure probably never breached his defensive radar.

And two, the idea of what would happen in that dark room, in that big, shared bed was nothing to anticipate with anything but dread.

Though Zayn Bass was damned near perfect, she was woefully far from fulfilling any of his fantasies. If he hadn’t discovered that after her reaction to his kiss, he’d be cruelly schooled if he expected to push the idea of intimacy to an unhappy conclusion. She wasn’t a happily-ever-after candidate. She was a dark, twisted fairytale with a cautionary ending, one that would end badly for all concerned.
I LOVE it when a book talks to you, when characters can’t wait to tell you what they’ve been up to, when you can fall head and heart first into a scene that leaves you sighing in satisfaction. Yah, my week has been like that . . . and I have another one to look forward to!! Let that words flow, and the chapters roll!!


Weekend Writing Warriors is a weekly hop for everyone who loves to write! Share an 8 to 10 sentence snippet of your writing on Sunday. Visit other participants on the list and read, critique, and comment on their #8sunday posts.

Spread the word, share the love, warriors - Hashtag #8sunday.


Nancy on the Web



18 comments

  1. Congratulations on finding your writing inspiration again! Love this snippet! She's so hard on herself, but I have a feeling Zayn thinks differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't we all tend to do that to some degree by taking our slightest flaws and making them huge obstacles.

      Delete
  2. So happy you found your writing place. Maybe we should have a race to see who finishes their story first. LOL I want to read more about Zayn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the writing. Enjoyed the snippet and I agree, she's probably too hard on herself and he may well surprise her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She should give him a chance--she might just get the surprise of her life! Congrats on finding your muse's happy place! Can't wait to read more! Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finding your happy place to write is a great gift. Keep the words flowing. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you found your writing mojo--and that you're working on this book! They have some big differences to sort through. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Women really are hard on themselves. I'm glad you've found a good place to catch up with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We forget how important it is to just sit back and breathe deep for a minute. Ahhhh!

      Delete
  8. She'll find a way to get through to him, but I bet it will be an adventure to get there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh boy, I resonate all too well with this sentence. "She was a dark, twisted fairytale with a cautionary ending, one that would end badly for all concerned."
    I don't do romance right, so I don't do it at all.
    Unfortunately, I would find going away from my usual environment too stressful to get anything done. Taking more than a day trip is very unsettling to me. It sounds great in theory. In practice, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I used to dread writing retreats but was able to survive them with my comfy chair pillow and headphones! A safe environment is the important thing, where you can relax and emerse yourself in your words, letting background noise and movement fall away. Not an easy thing for most of us. I get a surprising amount of writing energy when with author friends but prefer my cozy office chair and early morning solitude!!

      Delete