WeWriWa: Will her Word Mean their Bond? PRINCE OF SHADOWS (“By Moonlight” Book 8)

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Sunday, August 21, 2022

WeWriWa: Will her Word Mean their Bond? PRINCE OF SHADOWS (“By Moonlight” Book 8)

WeWriWa: Will her Word Mean their Bond? PRINCE OF SHADOWS 
(“By Moonlight” Book 8)



He made a promise to protect her and make her his queen. His brothers, and even his father, the king, believe the crown was the reward he’s after. But it was her. It always had been. To have that future they’d once dreamed of Cale Terriot will have to do things that make him into a monster in Kendra’s eyes after she’s made the prize in their shapeshifter clan’s contest to claim its crown. But his fierce determination and whispered promises stir memories of selfless love and long-ago kisses, and something else Kendra never expected. Desire.

Was she seriously considering staying with him, bonding as his life’s mate?

That would mean remaining here, locked away from a world she’d hoped to enjoy, a pampered prisoner, but prisoner, nonetheless, sharing every little intimate detail of her days and nights with this quixotic man she didn’t understand while trusting him to care for her, to protect and cherish her.

Before she could stop herself, she put her fingertips to his cheek, then gasped as he caught her wrist roughly.

His eyes flashed open, seeming more incredibly pale and beautiful against the shaded bruising surrounding them. Once he recognized her, he growled, “Probably not a good idea to startle me when I’m sleeping.”

“I’ll make a note.” Kendra withdrew her hand when he released it, rubbing at her abraded wrist while he rolled his head away and laid his forearm across his eyes. “I didn’t hear you come in last night.”

“Yeah, well, I didn’t have reason to wake you.”

That flat tone deflated fragile hopes.

( . . . and a bit more . . .)

Kendra swallowed hard. A prickle of pride refused to let her beg him. “It should only take a few minutes to pack up my things.”

“What?” His gaze flew up to meet hers, eyes wide and round and filled with a tumble of complex emotion. “You’re leaving?”

“Isn’t that what you want?”

“No.” He drew a quick, jerky breath. “Do you want me to go?”

The last thing she’d expected was for him to place that kind of power in her hands, but he delivered it without any hesitation. Kendra carefully weighed her next words. “I can’t stay if I’m afraid of you.” She gave that time to settle in. His stare, so intense and still, was riveted to hers. “There have to be rules.”

A quick blink. “You’re giving me rules?”

She heard his arrogant claim in her head: “I’m a Terriot prince. I do whatever the hell I want,” but she didn’t back down.

“Someone has to, Cale.”

“So,” he ventured carefully, “what are they?”

PRINCE OF SHADOWS was the first expansion of my “By Moonlight” world, introducing a dangerous rival clan that forces a clash between Max Savoie’s New Orleans and Lake Tahoe’s warrior Terriot clan (two of my favorite places, btw!!). I confess, Cale Terriot, with his strutty attitude and fearless loyalty, has always been my favorite, enough so to bring him and his family into crossover books in the “By Moonlight” series. I can’t wait to create a new cover (was never fond of the first one) and get it back out to readers old and new when I begin reissuing the series. I like that every old being new again!!

Just got back from a two week visit with one of my critique partners and got not just words but chapters (!) done on my Romantic Suspense WIP. Now to clean off my work desk and get those final pages finished!!

Loving this cooler weather here in the Mitten as summer slips into fall (my favorite season!). Gotta go leash up the cats and get them outside before the cubes melt in my iced tea. Can’t wait to dive into your projects!

Happy (almost) Fall, y’all!!


Weekend Writing Warriors is a weekly hop for everyone who loves to write! Share an 8 to 10 sentence snippet of your writing on Sunday. Visit other participants on the list and read, critique, and comment on their #8sunday posts.

Spread the word, share the love, warriors - Hashtag #8sunday.


Nancy on the Web



12 comments

  1. Ooh- he's accepting she can at least tell him some rules. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed his surprise at the idea of someone making rules for him! Excellent excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that line with its implicit shock - "You're giving me rules?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like he's invested enough in keeping her that he's willing to give up some power. A bold step in the right direction! Great snippet! Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow--I was not ready for you to stop! lol

    I love the cooler weather, too. It was 80 today, but the humidity is still too high. I think we have a cool down coming, though.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa! Yes, the cool blast we just had will not last but I'm loving it while it's here.

      Delete
  6. Can't wait to find out the rules! She shocked him, didn't she?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right down to the socks he won't be wearing for much longer.

      Delete