IWSG: Juggling Writing and Holidays

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Wednesday, December 07, 2022

IWSG: Juggling Writing and Holidays


Happy last month of 2022!! If they took all the holidays in the year and put them together, they wouldn’t equal the delightful chaos of December in our household. And one of the things on my plate this year is the delightful duty of being a host for IWSG along with my cohorts Joylene Nowell ButlerChemist KenNatalie Aquirre, and Cathrina Constantine! So you’d better watch out, we’ll be stopping by your pages for a visit to see if you’ve answered this month’s question:

“It's holiday time! Are the holidays a time to catch up or fall behind on writer goals?”

As a Christmas-aholic, the holiday officially begins December 1st. That’s when the house becomes overrun with all things Christmas. First, it’s hauling a dozen or so plastic tubs of what my son calls affectionately “Christmas crap” up from the basement to transform our street-facing dining room (and every other room I can invade) with holiday cheer (and glitter, unfortunately!). First, my collections (some begun decades ago!): Santa Clauses, Nutcrackers, and music boxes that I add to every year. Then it’s our two trees—a round one for the family room which features decorations that began when my eldest son was a baby to represent the significant event(s) of each year, and a half-tree that fits snug against the wall in our dining room that has become our forest animal and pet tree. I also have small office tree that has writing-related ornaments! Then, I find a place for everything else until the rooms look like the North Pole threw up all over the house (also a fun descriptor from my son!). By the time this all-day event is over, I’m reaching for the eggnog (regrettably not spiked!) to starting through our endless library of Christmas movies. But back to this months’ question . . . Writing time.


Regardless of whether under contract or in the midst of inspiration, pre- and post-retirement, holidays or no, I’ll still log in at 6:30 a.m. (it used to be 4:30, so I’ve gotten slothful with age) every day, with that first cup of coffee to visit Social Media sites then, when fully revved, attend to my monthly blog posts (because those are my “job” too) and my WIP until I finish the day’s goal of scenes and/or pages.

I’m planning to start a new writing project the first of the year – reissuing my extensive back list, so I’ll probably use much of that time scrolling through “naked male torsos” clipart – a dirty job, yes I know—to find cover fodder for those six “By Moonlight” paranormal romances and five “Texas” historical romance books I’ll be reissuing hopefully throughout 2023 and perhaps beyond.

So, holiday or no, I’ll be at my desk, reaching for that black coffee and inspiration. Every day. How about you?



Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. The awesome co-hosts for the December 7th posting of the IWSG will be Joylene Nowell ButlerChemist KenNatalie Aquirre, Nancy Gideon and Cathrina Constantine!

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Twitter hashtag is #IWSG

  

To join the IWSG Blog Hop and view the List of Hop Participants!



52 comments

  1. Thanks for co-hosting with me. That's great you'll stick to your schedule during the holidays. I'll write some but will take a break at times to do fun things with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your work ethics are inspiring, Nancy. Thanks for co-hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why get up that early if you don't have to?
    Now I'm curious what it looks like when the North Pole throws up...
    Merry Christmas and thanks for co-hosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The early bird doesn't have to deal with other family members until 10:30!! Throws up? It's all over the place and takes forever to clean up!! Merry Christmas to you, too, Alex!!

      Delete
  4. Wow! That's a lot to get done and a lot of writing! But obviously you must love and enjoy it. May Christmas and the holidays be filled with love and light. Thanks for cohosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since retiring, I love a project with a deadline (not everyday, mind you!!). Dragging it all out and getting it all up and able to sit back and enjoy it, even for only a few weeks a year . . . ahhhh. Worth it!!

      Delete
  5. I usually get our up in one or two days (OCD helps! I'm ubber focused!) or else the complaints and potentials falls start up over all the tubs and containers. I have it down to an art form!! With lots of perspiration added!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This year my family has taken up the duties of decorating for Christmas. The plastic boxes with lights are still scattered around th living room. Thanks for co-hosting IWSG this month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are one dedicated writer, Nancy. Kudos to you as you enjoy a beautiful Christmas with your friends and family. Thanks for co-hosting today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dedicated or just driven by the character voices in my head!

      Delete
  8. Interesting that you're reissuing your earlier books. Best of luck with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the rights back to them so no sense them sitting around not making me money.

      Delete
  9. 6:30 sounds more than reasonable to me. Today I was late (7:30), but since my daughters are home and working full-time (saving for big purchases like cars and houses), and they along with my husband have to be out of the house at 6:15, well... I hear them moving at 5:30 and so I might as well get going, too, and then warm up with tea, then journaling - where the ideas, reflections, and venting happen - and then the writing-writing (WIP). I do take a week off, though, from 22nd-29th (sometimes a little later).
    Happy Holiday writing and cover art searching. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta have that time off to let the imagination relax and recharge!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for co-hosting this month's IWSG question, Nancy.

    And oh my gosh! I have the same tubs and tubs of "Christmas crap"! Only my husband needs to lug it upstairs from the basement. He just told me that I have too much stuff and it's too heavy for him. So now I need to use a laundry basket and carry the decorations up little by little. Too bad my son lives so far away. Have a beautiful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Baby steps, indeed. My son is usually fairly resigned to his duty. He carries them when full, I carry when empty.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for reading/commenting on my post. Such boosts reduce insecurities! Your Christmas dedication astonishes me, with all your collections and collections and collections!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some years I think, why bother but then . . . I do it for myself to brighten my spirit for the Michigan winter to come.

      Delete
  12. It sounds like you have the right attitude to writing over the holidays. However you're certainly getting into the spirit with your extensive decorations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a helpless hoarder when it comes to things Christmas. I never get rid of anything.

      Delete
  13. I couldn't help but compare our two Christmas decoration collection. They couldn't be more different. Ours fits in a shoe box! It's not because I'm a Christmas Scrooge, it's because we lived on a sailboat for several years and room was limited to the bare essentials. I did buy one new ornament to celebrate the year. Thank you for co-hosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could get by on just a few things - the ones that mean the most to me but here I have the luxury of space so I take advantage. Still I limit myself to 1 new thing a year.

      Delete
  14. Sticking to schedule no matter what? I'm in awe.
    I don't decorate much myself - my family doesn't celebrate Christmas, only the New Year Eve - but I always enjoy those gaudy and cheerful decorations when I see them. The more bright and colorful, the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be the awe I felt as a child when my dad drove us around the neighborhoods to see the Christmas lights. It's that spirit I work to rekindle every year.

      Delete
  15. Your decorations sound magical! With competition that intense, no wonder the North Pole could get squeamish ;-) Your work schedule is enviable - and commendable ;-) May the spirit of Christmas guide your pen. Thanks for co-hosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diedre!! Maybe I could work for them parttime!

      Delete
  16. That's some serious Christmasy stuff! I have managed to put up outdoor lights; the interior is waiting for the weekend, when the local preschool is holding a tree sale. Then off we go! I'm in recovery from NaNo so at the moment writing isn't happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss putting up real greens but they made my hands break out and itch for days! I fought going artificial but it saves on scratching and worrying about the pets and needles.

      Delete
  17. Thanks for co-hosting the blog hop. Happy December!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for co-hosting this month!

    I don’t put up my Christmas tree until a few days before Christmas.

    Good luck with your new writing project next year.

    Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes so long to drag out and put up all the decorations, I HAVE to start early . . . and love every minute of it.

      Delete
  19. It's great that you've got such big plans for the holidays and for your writing.
    Hope your IWSG day is inspiring.
    “The only limit to your success is your own imagination” – Shondra Rhimes
    I wish you a merry holiday ⛄ season, and a New Year full of peace, joy, and creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to you, a well!!! All the best in a bright New Year!

      Delete
  20. Thanks for co-hosting even in this very busy merry season. Love your son's expressions. Is he a writer??? Best wishes forgetting those books re-issued! That is an ambitious project. Have fun with it! (Sounds like you are already!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's my chip off the ole block and is very creative. Wants to be a film maker. Can't wait to get to the reissuing-the process is exciting!

      Delete
  21. lol Now I know I'm in the wrong genre - 'scrolling through naked male torso clipart' sigh. It's a hard job, but someone has to do it!
    You also gave me a great idea for my tree. I've been putting short branches behind it for years to put it closer to the wall, but leaving them off entirely - a half tree up against the wall. What a great idea!
    And thanks for co-hosting. Three wonderful things in one post. Have a great holiday and see you in the new year ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's our dining room tree so it gives the illusion of fullness without the bulk. I LOVE it! And you don't have to make all those trip round and round - everything is out front. I'll let you know if I need assistence on the NMT front!!

      Delete
  22. I'm impressed by your consistent work ethic. Mine was similar till this year--I seem to have fallen off track a bit. Same with Christmas--zero motivation to decorate, though I got into it a bit last year.

    Good luck with the reissues! If you need any assistance sorting through naked male torsos, gimme a holler ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I'll let you know if I get tired of looking at them. I'm lagging in the HoHoHo this year, too. Haven't even dragged out the decorations yet.

      Delete
  23. Cheers to you on keeping that schedule! Re-releasing is brutal. I know from experience. ;)

    My schedule is much like yours (minus the naked male torsos, a bit jelly!) As I try to get back into the swing of things after surgery.

    Heidi
    Www.HeidiAngell.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best to you on a full recovery!! Seen one naked male torso . . .

      Delete
  24. I'm a "write every day" writer, too. Though I do accept a lower word count during holidays. @samanthabwriter from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My writing time being so early in the day doesn't interfere with family - they sleep in and my keyboard is very quiet!

      Delete
  25. Good for you for keeping to the schedule! I'm kind of the opposite in that I think and perform better at night, so my magically productive time is late night into the early morning hours, so I go to bed about an hour before everyone else gets up for school/work. Each person has to find their rhythms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I could never work at night. Up before the sun -that's me.

      Delete
  26. Happy writing! My goal is go do some of the marketing courses I've purchased but not finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many courses - so little time. My problem is implimenting what I learn from them!

      Delete
  27. The fact you're up so early (and used to get up earlier) has me in shock. Can you tell 'm not a morning person? lol

    Happy Holidays, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete