WeWriWa: “If You Stayed” . . . A RISK-TAKING RANGER

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Sunday, December 04, 2022

WeWriWa: “If You Stayed” . . . A RISK-TAKING RANGER


There comes a time when everyone has to take a minute or two or three to consider their options . . . even if their path to a pre-set future seems written in hard work, sweat, and blood. That little “What if?” sneaks in when least expected and suddenly, things are never the same again. Just ask the heroine in my recently completed romantic suspense . . .

 The Excerpt 

“So . . .?”

Drawn by the dangling question, Nora glanced at her driver. “So, what?”

Tommy Walker’s smile stretched wide at her defensiveness.  “What are your intentions toward my partner? I feel it’s my duty to protect his best interests . . . and mine.”

She gave a snort and a cool, “I don’t think Ranger Bass needs your protection in that area.”

“Reeeeeally? There were some unmistakable about to do something crazy vibes going on back there. Do I need to give you the brotherly talk, because I’ve got it on speed dial?”

“Only if you enjoy the sound of your own voice falling on disinterested ears.”

( . . . and a bit more . . .)

His smug chuckle took her blood pressure up a notch, bringing heat to Nora’s cheeks with his too close for comfort intuition. Zayn’s young partner was going to make one heck of an investigator, but she couldn’t make herself dislike that about him. 

“I don’t think you need to concern yourself about your friend taking a high dive into an emotion entanglement.”

Tommy’s noncommittal, “Hmmm,” only provoked the tension churning through her.        

Not sure whom she was arguing with, Nora stated, “Zayn Bass doesn’t get involved. He’s made that very clear. And I’m not going to be around long enough to convince him otherwise.”

“But if you were? If you stayed?”

After following a certain path—even a lonely, rocky one—for the better part of her life, the slightest deviation seems drastic to someone as single-minded and driven as Nora Prescott . . . especially when it could contain something as unexpected as a future for two. That “What if” takes my heroine on a wild, unpredictable, and downright scary ride I hope you’ll be taking with me over the next few weeks as I start polishing my newly completed Texas-set RS for publication. Where, is the question: Traditional or Self-Pubbed. Still working that one out as I dig into another HUGE project—reissuing an extensive and diverse backlist. Where to start . . . with historicals or paranormals? What do you think?

I’m going to put that question on hold as I drag a dozen plastic tubs filled with artificial trees, lights, and decorations up from the basement to turn our house into a Christmas wonderland . . . watch for photos next week.

How’s your Christmas shopping going? With two sisters who BOTH have birthdays in November, I haven’t even started looking yet. Now the big question: On line or out amidst the masses?


Weekend Writing Warriors is a weekly hop for everyone who loves to write! Share an 8 to 10 sentence snippet of your writing on Sunday. Visit other participants on the list and read, critique, and comment on their #8sunday posts.

Spread the word, share the love, warriors - Hashtag #8sunday.


Nancy on the Web



10 comments

  1. Ah - the "what if" question. 2 innocent words. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like Tommy is trying to play matchmaker!

    Getting the decorations out today, and have about half of my shopping done. Though I never feel ready, even when Christmas arrives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! By the time I drag everything upstairs, set up two trees and my nutcracker collections, plus add touches of the holiday to EVERY room in the house, I have time to step back and admire it . . . then bring the buckets up to put all of it away for another year. Sigh. Maybe this year I'll just leave it out until Easter!

      Delete
  3. Is Tommy asking for his partner or for himself? Having not seen Zayn and Nora together, I can't say they don't have chemistry, but I thought I detected some between her and Tommy. It's a fair question too.

    Historical is what I would go with first, but that's because I prefer that subgenre.

    Looking forward to those pictures! And I better get on that shopping. We also have some birthdays this month and next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tommy is a man with three sister and used to offering that free shoulder and advice. I've shared several scenes with Nora and Zayn and will do a few more before months end.

      Delete
  4. I'd be amazed if she hasn't already thought about that "what if." She has to have at least had the thought cross her mind. And I bet it's now going to do a lot more than that. Or she's a fool! :) I vote for historical too. My fave subgenre.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to be late commenting this week! What-ifs are always fun to play with. Great snippet. PNR backlist first is my advice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "What it..." Oh, there's fightin' words if nothing else. Tommy's got Nora's number, as well as Zayn's

    ReplyDelete