WeWriWa: Not My Kind of Party . . . BOUND BY MOONLIGHT

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Sunday, January 22, 2023

WeWriWa: Not My Kind of Party . . . BOUND BY MOONLIGHT


In my youthful college days, I was up at 6:00 a.m. to get ready for my 7:30 a.m. full load of university classes (pulling an honors degree!), went from there to my 25-30 hours per week part-time job in retail, then spent evenings out with a group of friends until 2:30 a.m. Wednesday-Saturday nights. Only once did I do something truly stupid, but once, as in my excerpts from BOUND BY MOONLIGHT this month, could be more than enough . . .

Bound by Moonlight (By Moonlight - Book 4)
Length: 370 Pages

POLICE DETECTIVE CHARLOTTE CAISSIE AND HER SHAPE-SHIFTING PARAMOUR MAX SAVOIE THOUGHT THE PAST WAS BEHIND THEM. BUT IN NANCY GIDEON’S IRRESISTIBLE NEW ROMANCE, THEY DISCOVER IT MAY NEVER LET THEM GO. . . .

THEY SWORE THEY’D BE TOGETHER FOREVER.
Detective Charlotte Caissie is suddenly sharing drawer space and making local news with her shape-shifter lover, Max Savoie. He’s determined to be accepted by her peers—so how can she ask him to return to his criminal roots to help her solve a complex case?

BUT THOSE THEY TRUST THE MOST . . .
Working undercover with her partner to find the serial killer who’s kidnapped a colleague’s daughter, Cee Cee is caught between her job and her fiercely possessive lover. And when she calls on Max’s preternatural talents to aid his hated enemy, she crosses a line that strains their relationship to its limit.

. . . WILL DO ANYTHING TO TEAR THEM APART.
With his secret spreading, Max is forced to protect his family and his clan. The only certainty is his love for his human mate . . . unless the loyalties that define them divide them forever.

 The Excerpt 

She froze in the glare, like a performer with stage fright.

Stones crunched as the car moved forward at a slow stalking pace.

She started back peddling toward the main street, hearing those whispers in her head, warning her to be careful, warning of the danger. . . because of the other girls. Scrambling for the safety of the sidewalk, she fumbled in her purse, looking for the pepper spray she always carried as the car edged into view, turning onto the street to stop next to her.  The passenger window slowly rolled down, taking with it the image of a frightened young girl all alone. She couldn’t make out the face of the driver within the shadowed interior.

Exhaling a shaky breath, she cast off the shivers of panic. Probably just a john looking for some early action. She straightened, cocking her hip, tossing her head.  Maybe he’d be willing to give her a ride to the bus station if she threw in a little extra. A little lagniappe, ‘cuz these new boots weren’t made for walking.

“Hey there. Lookin’ for a party?” 

. . . and a little bit more . . .

She started toward the car with an exaggerated roll of her hips, bending down near the window to begin the bartering when the passenger door pushed opened. A shadowed figure leaned toward her. She began to smile.

“You nearly scared me to death turning on the headlights on like that,” she scolded with a breathy little laugh as she leaned in. “What—?”

Strong fingers gripped her upper arm, jerking her off balance on the skyscraper shoes, pulling her upper body inside the car before she could think to struggle.  Her temple struck the door edging, making everything go as bright and glittery as the New Orleans nightlife she loved. A sharp sting at the base of her throat, a flare of burning heat.  Then nothing.

The door closed and the car moved in no hurry into the morning mists.

Detective Charlotte Caissie knows what can happen during those few minutes of inattentiveness and now she works the streets of New Orleans to make sure others don’t suffer from the same kind of mistakes she’d made. But unlike most of them, she had a dark guardian angel looking out for her and they’ve been covering each other’s backs ever since.

I’m having such fun reissuing the “By Moonlight” series, getting to know the characters all over again and now . . . wanting to explore more about them. 2023 is going to be an interesting year.


Weekend Writing Warriors is a weekly hop for everyone who loves to write! Share an 8 to 10 sentence snippet of your writing on Sunday. Visit other participants on the list and read, critique, and comment on their #8sunday posts.

Spread the word, share the love, warriors - Hashtag #8sunday.


Nancy on the Web



16 comments

  1. That's a creepy scary scene. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still makes me relive that moment in Chicago that could have gone another way entirely. Brrrrrr.

      Delete
  2. You sure burned the old candle at both ends in college! You gotta do what you gotta do. That sure was a creepy scene. I've done dumb things in my life but never that dumb. Can't wait to see where this goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Stranger Danger internal warning system is usually too strong to get me into trouble but ah, youth, when you feel you're indestructable.

      Delete
  3. That was a very scary scene indeed! Well done excerpt...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was always too chicken to tempt fate that way. The most dangerous thing I think I did was walk from a Broadway show in New York to my hotel late at night, in a well lighted area. Still thought I'd get mugged. I can't imagine what she's experiencing, except for your excellent descriptions! Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the Broadway thing my first time in NY, too and was just sure our group of FIVE was in peril. Sometimes it's best to cling to that caution rather than to take potentially dangerous chances. I STILL hang onto my purse as if it contained nuclear secrets.

      Delete
  5. Scary! She's made a mistake. I hate walking alone at night in a city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually early morning in the book on a Sunday before the world wakes up.

      Delete
  6. That's not good. Alone at night in a city is not the safest way to be on a good night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. But if with a group and with care toward the surroundings it can be exhilerating.

      Delete
  7. I've never walked alone at night in a city. I would be terrified. This snippet has me wondering what's going on. When will this book be reissued? I want to read it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working on it now then its off to get reformated and new packing. Squee! I'll keep you posted.

      Delete
  8. Wow.... that was a rollercoaster of emotions. And I feel like we're still in for a wild ride.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm here on the 29th - except I see I already commented last week -was there a screw up with your linky link thing? Or am I in some weird time warp - LOL

    ReplyDelete