IWSG: Going Undercover(s) . . . Recovering and Reissuing

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Wednesday, February 01, 2023

IWSG: Going Undercover(s) . . . Recovering and Reissuing

It’s February, month of Hearts and Flowers . . . and here in Michigan, lots of ice and snow! A great time to hunker down at the keyboard to get work done while those cold winds blow (and to be thankful you’re retired and don’t have to go out into it!). But today’s question reminded me of a February two years ago when severe water leaks required an immediate recovering . . .


Our February 1st question - If you are an Indie author, do you make your own covers or purchase them? If you publish traditionally, how much input do you have about what goes on your cover?

When I started out decades ago, it was pre-self-pub, a time of big New York houses and little author input into the finished product – especially where the cover was concerned. It was a time of the infamous three-armed hero, bodice-ripping clenches, and Fabio. One of my author pals and I had the exact same art on our two very different books for the same publisher – released in the same month! We still laugh over it. I’ve had gorgeous treatments and I’ve had head scratchers. A dark-haired hero who was supposed to be blonde ended up with a hideous fixer upper that glowed in the dark. My first historical set in the Regency era (with explicit scenes!) had the most docile couple sweetly holding hands. (The reissue with another publisher was right on target!) Then my uber sexy vampire hero looked more like an ancient Barnabas Collins (I can’t be the only one who remembers Dark Shadows!) A post-Civil War book set in the South had mountains in the background! So I can honestly say, the one thing I’m most thankful for as a hybrid author, is complete cover control!


Okay, I’m a control-freak. I like to be involved up to the eyebrows with the rearing and unveiling of my babies. I’ve been lucky to have editors who encouraged input. And luckier still to have a virtual assistant, Florence Price, who works with me to create the art on my self-pubs.

I’m currently in the process of reissuing four of my “By Moonlight” shapeshifter books (that had gorgeous NY cover treatment). And I must say, spending entire days (!) scrolling through naked male torsos is laborious! Just put the shirt on or take it off, dude! But finding background images was a delight, especially since they’re set in New Orleans, my favorite place to visit (and revisit this fall!). But when these books are released, those will be MY heroes on the cover.

If every picture tells a story, every cover treatment sells (or doesn’t!) your book, so much so that some self-pub authors reissue the same title with several cover treatments (and even have readers vote on them!) to see which works best before continuing the series.

If you want readers to get to what’s inside, make sure the outside correctly represents what they’re looking for!



Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. The awesome co-hosts for the February 1st posting of the IWSG will be Jacqui Murray, Ronel Janse van Vuuren, Pat Garcia, and Gwen Gardner!

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Twitter hashtag is #IWSG

  

To join the IWSG Blog Hop and view the List of Hop Participants!



16 comments

  1. That is crazy you two had the same cover art. What was that publisher thinking? Now you can do them right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many different departments and different editors handling the projects, I guess. It makes for a good story though, doesn't it? And the other author and I still laugh about it (though we weren't laughing then!).

      Delete
  2. I'm grateful not to have to go out in the bitter cold too. That's crazy that your publisher used the same cover for your friend's and your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Ridiculously careless. Though not a bad as a three armed man.

      Delete
  3. I like the cover art of the reissued book :-)

    Ronel visiting for IWSG day Strategies to Be a Successful Author

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Me, too! The first attempt was . . . not so nice so I asked for a redo and it was gorgeous.

      Delete
  4. They paid their cover artists a heck of a lot more than their authors and wanting to get mileage out of them. I did get some gorgeous covers, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a story--about the two identical covers. I hope you left that publisher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stayed because I loved my editor but also was working with other houses to cover all bases!

      Delete
  6. It's great that we have more choices regarding our covers. A great cover artist if so valuable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As important as a good editor, that's for sure!!

      Delete
  7. Ha! I've seen indie covers with the same stock photo cover. What a disaster!

    P.S., I remember Dark Shadows. I watched it everyday after school. There was no cable and only three channels. LOL.

    I'm Gwen, co-hosting the IWSG this month - https://gwengardner.blogspot.com/2023/01/iwsg-how-are-you-book-covered.html#comment-form

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rushed home to watch then called my best friend to discuss - I guess that was my first critique group! Loved Barnabus and Quentin!

      Delete
  8. Both covers look good to me. But I like to find good in everything.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  9. The hand holding cover is precious. When I was a very sheltered teen, a cover like that might have helped me sneak spicy books home from the library without arousing suspicion. ;)

    ReplyDelete