[IWSG] Reviews: For and By Readers and/or Writers?

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Wednesday, December 06, 2023

[IWSG] Reviews: For and By Readers and/or Writers?

Happy countdown to the last few weeks of 2023! It’s been an odd year for continuity. That butt in chair, hands on keys habit drifted off during the pandemic era (Darn you, Netflix!) Now I’m back at the computer creating NEW words on a project that got shuffled to the back while getting two romantic suspense books out to an editor who was waiting for them. I’ve also gone back to some historicals I got the rights back to (well-reviewed books, I might add in the spirit of this month’s topic!) to take my mind off waiting – hopefully for some positive news.

Buut on to our topic:

December 6th question: Book reviews are for the readers. When you leave a book review do you review for the Reader or the Author? Is it about what you liked and enjoyed about your reading experience, or do you critique the author?


I’ve been a writer practically since the time I became an avid reader. I loved telling/writing stories to entertain myself first, then others. The happiest moment of my life was when an English teacher in high school suggested I look into writing for publication. But that excitement dimmed when, as a very shy author, I realized that would mean getting feedback that wasn’t always going to be kind. It can be a school of hard knocks when strangers enter into the mix.

Reviews are opinions to benefit others who are deciding whether or not to try the author/buy the book. AND they provide nice bits of positive promo, i.e. quotes, to add selling power to author advertising campaigns.


Don’t be afraid to contact an author to request a quote, especially if they’ve read and loved other things you’ve written, but make sure you provide them with plenty of time in advance of publication to read the material. I will only leave a review for a book I love. That way, both the readers AND the author can benefit. Win-Win!



Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. The awesome co-hosts for the December 6th posting of the IWSG will be C. Lee McKenzie, JQ Rose, Jennifer Lane, and Jacqui Murray!

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Twitter hashtag is #IWSG

  

To join the IWSG Blog Hop and view the List of Hop Participants!



12 comments

  1. I only write reviews about books I enjoy too. I don't want to make it harder for any author by leaving a bad review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only review if I enjoyed the book. Besides, if I didn't enjoy it, I most likely didn't finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a hard time with DNF. I also felt I might be giving up too early. But then my time got more valuable. Sometimes I'll go back and complete a book but usually there are too many others waiting to be enjoyed.

      Delete
  3. Reviewing is not for everyone. It took me a long time to figure out how to do it so it suited my internal self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honest . . . but kind, even if it's a personal review and not for the public.

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a gift to have been told in high school that you should consider writing for publication! Love the suggestion of getting an author quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And when that was echoed in college, I knew what I had to do - get over my reserve about letting others read my stuff and get it out there!

      Delete
  5. I only write reviews for books I enjoy too. Good luck on your new project.
    Diane Burton (Blogger is giving me problems)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I write reviews if I finish a book, or sometimes if I DNF it after reading at least half. And I try to be honest in my reviews. After all, a review is an opinion, nothing more. I don't pretend to be a literary critic or anything of the sort. I just say what I feel, even if it is uncomplimentary to the book. And I read reviews to find out what others like and dislike too. Their opinions help me decide if I want to read the book or not. I don't trust books that have all 5-star reviews with no criticism. It is never real.
    Olga Godim from https://olgagodim.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd rather get a 4 review with lots of feedback/opinion than a simple 5 without comment.

      Delete