IWSG: Hollar Back . . . What Goes Around Comes Around. Your BookBub Best Buddy.

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Wednesday, January 03, 2024

IWSG: Hollar Back . . . What Goes Around Comes Around. Your BookBub Best Buddy.


Whew! We made it to 2024! Am I the only one who got a tad bit nervous over the past couple of years? With so many bastions of entertainment and retail going under, the future for us as authors seemed somewhat tenuous at best. But two things stayed certain and strong – writers cannot NOT write, and readers LOVE to read! Even though we lost face-to-face touch with our fans, they were always close virtually, especially when the world around us shut down. Many, like myself, found escape in the pages of a novel. And many of those novels found a path to readers’ hands via virtual means, BookBub being one of them.

January 3 question: Do you follow back your readers on BookBub or do you only follow back other authors?

When self-publishing went wild, giving anyone with a keyboard an opportunity to become an “author,” it became imperative for writers to establish a connection with their readers so as not to become just a faint flickering light in the glut of fast-track fiction. BookBub, in its infancy, was one of the first places I gained notice as an author by following my readers. And it’s one of the first places I went to learn how to promote myself as an author by following other authors. And, more importantly, how to gain readers. BookBub has grown HUGE! And with volume came cost – to get noticed, to announce sales/deals, etc. A natural progression when a resource attains credibility.

With NY struggling under the pressure to keep pace with glut of $0.99/Free titles, the affordability and accessibility to avenues of promo became a rat race, but through it all, BookBub remained a friend to authors . . . a friend I’d lost touch with until now. BB is back in my arsenal to gain notice.

Now, to get those two books sitting with my new editor sold so I can renew that friendship!!

How about you? Which venues have you found to be the most accessible and helpful?



Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. The awesome co-hosts for the January 3rd posting of the IWSG will be are Joylene Nowell Butler, Olga Godim, Diedre Knight, and Natalie Aguirre!

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Twitter hashtag is #IWSG

  

To join the IWSG Blog Hop and view the List of Hop Participants!



18 comments

  1. I've lost contact over the past year and need to get acquainted again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many tools and so little time. It comes down to value and determination. I used to spend half my writing time on promotional sites until I realized if I wasn't writing, I'd have nothing to promote!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you've found BookBub helpful. I hope you hear good news from your publisher about your submissions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear your stories are finished and with your editor. Progress! Hope 2024 is a great year for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recommendation, Nancy. Since I now have a new macbook, I'm definitely going to give BookBub another try. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't utilize Bookbub nearly as much as I probably should. I honestly can't even remember the last time I logged into that site and I put a book out last year. I should probably go claim it over there. Finding ways to connect with our readers is highly important and I should be utilizing all the options available to me. thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had fallen off my radar until now, too. But I did have really good luck with it when I first started out, so . . . nothing ventured . . .

      Delete
  6. And, here I thought was BookBub was newer than that. I've only been on it a couple years. It's gotten slick, really nice. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for commenting on my GoodReads blog. It's wonderful that they copy my blog posts automatically, so more people can have access to them.
    I never had any interaction through BB, just daily promotional emails from them, but I should probably explore its wider possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can't hurt to try them just to expand your reach.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for visiting my blog. I am envious of your recent trip to New Orleans. My last was during Hurricane Rita! Not a fun time. But I delivered needed blood there. If I had your email. I would send you the audiobook of my Christmas Dickens' type fantasy set there with true tales of New Orleans spirits during WWII.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We visited right after. Coming in on the plane everything looked fine but when we circled out and came back in over the outskirts it was horrible. Such devastation. Unfortunately, I have a hearing issue so I don't do audio books. Can I find it in ebook?

      Delete
  9. Toes-crossed on those new books, though I'm sure you've got it nailed down.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I've ever been on BookBub. Will have to investigate it.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete