IWSG: Blog, blog, blog, blog, blog . . .

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Wednesday, April 03, 2024

IWSG: Blog, blog, blog, blog, blog . . .


Our April 3rd question made me think waaaay back: How long have you been blogging? (Or on Facebook/ Twitter/ Instagram?) What do you like about it and how has it changed?

When I started out, there was no social media – in fact, were no computers! Authors made contact with readers via mailed mimeographed newsletters and by taking out ads/writing articles in one of the select few writing/romance-oriented magazines back in the early ‘80s/’90s such as ROMANTIC TIMES and AFFAIRE DE COUER. Then came the boon to self-promotion – the Internet! And what was once personal and friendly became faceless and demanding. It’s easier/quicker to write the book than promote it through all the varied avenues now available. And what choices modern authors have!!

My first website, designed by a professional media company along with one of my critique partners, was a labor (and I stress LABOR!) of love. I poured my heart and soul into that project with interactive sections and music videos and places to connect. I had a huge member list I thought of as friends rather than customers. And then it got hacked and I lost it. I have a replacement now that I’m proud of but I’m no longer sure that it has the reach that the newer types of social media do.

I have several group blogs that I participate in, which of course includes IWSG that also help increase reach and hopefully readership but it’s the more “personal” daily contact that I enjoyed building on Twitter. But those two also outgrew the personal touch that I preferred to become regimented by rules and strict guidelines . . . and, alas hackers, again. Sigh . . .

Facebook was my first toe in modern social waters. And I LOVED it. I still do. My personal and my professional pages update friends and readers quickly and efficiently and keep me in touch with those both near and far.

Instagram has never been a tool I’ve used. I’m not a modern girl with a selfie stick on her cell phone to document every adventure and every meal. And my nails are too long to text all my news as it happens. Another lost opportunity . . . sigh!

Thanks for letting me ramble on! Now, off to see your responses.

Happy Spring!


Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. The awesome co-hosts for the April 3rd posting of the IWSG will be are Janet Alcorn, T. Powell Coltrin, Natalie Aguirre, and Pat Garcia!

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Twitter hashtag is #IWSG

  

To join the IWSG Blog Hop and view the List of Hop Participants!



10 comments

  1. Sorry your website got hacked.
    Never ventured to Facebook, but I still enjoy the connections through blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was devastating. I'd spent so much time developing it and had so many great connections . . . then gone in an instant.

      Delete
  2. I never connected much with writers on Twitter, though I don't go on there very much. I'd be curious to know what other blogger groups you're part of. Like Alex, I still really enjoy the connections I make through blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my main connect but I also blog at Paranormal Romantics and Weekend Writing Warriors. That's enough for me and I enjoy them.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear you got hacked and lost so much. I do like the connections that I've made through blogging, esp. IWSG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I have you to blame (THANK!) for getting me started with writers' groups!

      Delete
  4. I'm on FB but not with an author page yet. I have an Instagram and Twitter account, which I never use. :) Thanks for stopping by today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Spring, Nancy! I remember the pre-computer, pre-internet days only too well. I find blogging reward and will continue to do so as long as it's available. I have trouble with Instagram, and my nieces and nephews have to keep helping me out ~ lol. Have a happy and creative month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about the hack. Can only imagine how heartbreaking that was. Social media is a hit or miss for me. I had been making some headway on connecting with readers and such on Twitter before it changed ownership, now it's back to feeling like I'm screaming into a void. Haven't really found a home on the other sites that popped up in the wake of the slow decline of Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I kind of miss the early days of the web, when it felt like such a magical place. And I miss the early days of Facebook, before all the ads and political content, when it was just a bunch of friends (old and new) sharing what they had for lunch. I'm currently on way too many social sites but have yet to settle on one for my writing-related posting. So many choices, so little time.

    ReplyDelete