IWSG – Dealing With Distrac—“Oh, look! Squirrel!”

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Wednesday, May 01, 2024

IWSG – Dealing With Distrac—“Oh, look! Squirrel!”

Our May Question is: How do you deal with distractions when you’re writing? Do they derail you?

Oh, thanks! Give me THIS question when I’m co-hosting and trying to appear ultra professional! I’ll get this confession out of the way – I’m ADD/OCD. I know. That’s like pouring hot fudge on plain white bread. Hmmm, I wonder if we have any hot fudge in the fridge, maybe some marshmallows . . . Oh, sorry. Back to the topic. Distraction.

My eldest son was three when I got the call from New York to publish my first book. I was proofing the galleys to Book 3 in the hospital after giving birth to my second son. Since I’m not a night owl, I’d get up at 4:30 a.m. – every day! – grab coffee, my WIP and get to work (on legal pads and a manual typewriter prior to my first computer!) before my boys woke up. Then it was ‘Professional Mom mode’ time. I wrote when they were at school. I wrote longhand on note paper at little league games and did mental edits while driving to scout meetings or while washing dishes, and plotted scenes in the car on my way to my 9-to-5 once the boys were in school full-time. My motto: “The path of least resistance.” If you need the time, you’ll find the time. No excuses. No distractions.

You’ll never guess what my worst problem is now in getting writing done.

Too much time.

Now that I’m retired, you’d think I’d be cranking out a four-to-five book series every year. I wish. TOO much time is its own distraction. It seems like the second I fall into a writing rhythm, I hear the fam wandering around or watching talk shows or sports LOUDLY on TV or trudging up the steps to my office to pet the cats. Sigh . . . It makes me wonder if it’s time to just let the writing career go and become a retired Netflix-addicted cat mom. I could do that . . . for about 8-to-10 days. Then those plots would start spinning and those character voices would begin to whisper, “When am I going to get my story?”

Time is on my side . . . I just need to make use of it.

And this month, that means promoting two sales in different genres and by different names . . .

From May 1 to May 15, it’s stalking the dark sidewalks of Las Vegas with a woman looking for her memories and a centuries-old vampire trying to save his lost love, in MIDNIGHT CRUSADER, only $0.99.

Preview Midnight Crusader (Touched by Midnight Series - Book 9)

Published: May 4, 2011
Length: 228 Pages

Preview Love's Own Reward


Published: May 27, 2014
Length: 190 Pages

And, from May 16 to May 31, a fraud-busting journalist searches for the true story behind a shy researcher gifted with a huge windfall for saving a child’s life in LOVE’S OWN REWARD w/a Dana Ransom, a rewarding heart-twister for just $0.99.

But now, off to my job as one of this month’s co-hosts to glean your wisdom on how to deal with distraction. I’ll be taking notes . . .


Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. The awesome co-hosts for the May 1st posting of the IWSG will be are Victoria Marie Lees, Kim Lajevardi, Nancy Gideon, and Cathrina Constantine!

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Twitter hashtag is #IWSG

  

To join the IWSG Blog Hop and view the List of Hop Participants!



40 comments

  1. That's the thing about a lot of free time. That's when you don't accomplish much of anything. When you're busy, there is a sense of urgency and you manage to cram everything in.
    Thanks for co-hosting today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like a tight schedule to demand attention to details.

      Delete
  2. I live alone and have more time than I use to write too. I usually just write while I'm eating lunch, but I slowly make progress. I don't think you need to stop writing. I think it's okay to devote a shorter period of time to your writing and then do other things you enjoy. It's creating a balance in your life. Thanks for co-hosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Balance - exactly! I work at my desk but I also like to binge TV and take my cats outside and to cook for the fam. And READ! Busyness makes me appreciate and make better use of my writing time.

      Delete
  3. Happy IWSG Day! Thanks for co-hosting this month. Love the squirrel images! Thanks for sharing your story and for the promos. Time is a tricky thing. When you don't have it, you want it and when you have it, you're not always sure what to do with it. I trust your plots will eventually get their stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they're patient, they will. A time for everything.

      Delete
  4. I wonder if what you're experiencing comes with time/age? I'm feeling the same way. I love writing, but I'm also discovering so many other facets of life: wildlife out the window, grandchildren, sunshine, rainstorms, staring into the fireplace. Thanks for co-hosting, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those things are just as important - if not more so. The basics that drive our dreams.

      Delete
  5. Thank heavens for your post and everyone's comments. I thought I maybe losing it, wasting time on some many other activities. However, it appears I belong to a very interesting club. I guess if one lives long enough, one feels embraced by a world of beauty, wonder, magic. We have found the freedom and wisdom to immerse ourselves in life's unlimited journey of joy. Thank you for co-hosting. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writers are a special union of workers and dreamers. All so different yet striving for the same goals. It's NEVER a waste of time unless you waste your talent by not going after your dreams.

      Delete
  6. Only if we had this too much time in a bag to use it when we never had time or will never have time:(. But we indeed have all the time if just find it. Sending my gratitudes for co-hosting! Have a nice day:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! You never have it when you need it and when you have too much of it, you waste it. The never ending precarious balance of our profession!

      Delete
  7. I feel your energy right through the screen! Clicking on your books...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just as I draw energy from your response. Writers are like that!

      Delete
  8. Hi, Two new book releases coming out. Great job. I don't think you will stop writing. That would be boring. All the best and thank you for co-hosting. Shalom shalom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! You're probably right. What would I do if I didn't chase dreams?

      Delete
  9. I've also noticed that sometimes I need extra work to get work done. It's so strange!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Complaisance is our enemy. Surprise keeps us on our toes - that last minute!

      Delete
  10. It's interesting how too much free time can be an enemy of productivity. I felt that when I was in the ICU- on very busy days, my adrenaline kept me going and I got so. much.done. On slower days, I would go home and wonder what I managed to finish that day. But there were always those toooooo busy days when I'd spin my wheels with far too much work to handle. There seems to be a stress-balance, where just the right amount of "stuff" can get done. When I find that sweet spot now that I'm retired, I'll let you know. I haven't found it yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the difference between driving on ice and slogging through mud!

      Delete
  11. I love the little background on your writing with children. I also was working on something at the birth of my second child - I was literally editing a chapter for my manuscript in the bed at the hospital waiting for the contractions to get to the right length. When you've got the time, right? Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I made readers of all my nursing staff!!

      Delete
  12. It goes much the same for me. More time doesn't necessarily mean I'll get more done. Because focus is the thing I'm really limited in. @samanthabwriter from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't life fascinating? It deals out the unexpected, the challenges, and the rewards in such a random fashion. How do we cope? Great question. Also great post, and thanks for writing it and co-hosting today.
    https://cleemckenziebooks.substack.com/p/writer-derailed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would we want it any other way? Surprises keep things fresh and us, on our toes!

      Delete
  14. I do work well under pressure. I just would rather not. Still, what's a couple more chapters in the book I'm reading gonna hurt? It will only take a minute to plant all those flower seeds...Was that thunder? I wonder if there's lightning? Gah!
    It helps if I promise myself a reward after a good long writing session. Or, if I absolutely have to be outside, I take my laptop.
    Thanks for co-hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're right. Too much time could be distracting. You always think that you'll have the time ... later. And then the 'later' stretches far into the distance.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah, time can be an enemy as much as an ally.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bravo on the book releases. Way to go! You offer solid advice here: If you need the time, you’ll find the time. No excuses. No distractions. More power to you. Don't worry about all that time. You'll find a way to fill it up with story. Thanks for co-hosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Victoria! I need to remind myself of those things this week!

      Delete
  18. That's a lot of dedication and much to overcome. Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think often, the busier we are the better we do. Maybe it's time to "schedule" some of that retirement time! Thank you for co-hosting IWSG this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much time makes it easier to postpone what needs to be done.

      Delete
  20. Thanks for co-hosting the IWSG this month. Too much time to focus is also a problem, isn't it? It spoke to me. For years I've been squeezing in writing time, like you and now that my nest is empty and the only distractions are from nature - look there's a squirrel, or that bird sings so sweetly it must be building a nest - I am far less focussed. Writing is never easy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Despite the distractions, your book list shows an awesome level of commitment to 'write between' and reach your goals. Looking forward to reading Midnight Crusader!

    ReplyDelete