IWSG: Tools of the Trade

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Wednesday, July 03, 2024

IWSG: Tools of the Trade


I LOVE things that make my life easier. Microwaves, packaged meals, the TV viewer . . . anything that I can depend upon to get the job done without a lot of fuss and supervision. But I’m also very set in my ways. As far as writing, I thought my excitement had peaked with the discovery of the electric typewriter and erasable bond paper! Silly me. Now, there’s no end to the “helpers” out there designed to make our author life simpler . . . or cumbersome and cluttered. Which leads me to our monthly question:

The IWSG July 3rd question: What are your favorite writing processing (e.g. Word, Scrivener, yWriter, Dabble), writing apps, software, and tools? Why do you recommend them? And which one is your all-time favorite that you cannot live without and use daily or at least whenever you write?

I don’t go for gimmicks or the app of the week. I like to find something I can trust to do the job I want it to do. And once I find it, I’ll use it until it goes the way of the dinosaur. Probably why I wrote my first dozen or so books long hand, typed them up, then took them to a copy store to make packets to go out in the mail to publishers/reviewers. (Yes, I’m that old!). I have a wonderful Virtual Assistant who now does many of the tasks that took up my creative time. She understands how I work and maneuvers around my OCD/ADD eccentricities. I have the luxury of leaving the formatting and many of the initial PR tasks in her capable hands, though I am an ogre about approving everything that goes out with my name on it.

The nitty gritty: I use Word and the basic helpful goodies that come with it to clean up my writing. I even tried the read aloud app but its verbal errors (not to mention its want to change things without letting you know!) distracted me from the actual editing. As with Scrivener, I know you can “train” programs but that takes up time I’d rather spend doing actual edits.

The other joy I take in my profession is doing my own PR graphics and creating covers with technical help from my VA. I LOVE doing promo – picking excerpts, finding stock photos, pulling quotes, using Canva or Deposit Photo to create visuals or lead-ins for blogs/articles (though searching through ‘bare male torso’ pix for hours at a time can dull the appreciation somewhat!) and I always have a folder dedicated to each book/series for continuity. Since I do self-pub as well as publishing house, there are different demands for each, but I always try to sneak in as much of my own input as possible.

I can’t wait to start fussing with MIDNIGHT TEMPTATION, from my 90’s vampire romance series reissue that’s on SALE for only $0.99 from July 16-31.

Can’t wait to find out how YOU handle these tasks.

Happy Summertime!!



Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. The awesome co-hosts for the July 3rd posting of the IWSG will be are JS Pailly, Rebecca Douglass, Pat Garcia, Louise-Fundy Blue, and Natalie Aguirre!

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Twitter hashtag is #IWSG

  

To join the IWSG Blog Hop and view the List of Hop Participants!



10 comments

  1. I use Word too, but I don't have a virtual assistant like you. Good luck with the reissue of your book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalie!! A VA should be your next 'goal'!

      Delete
  2. I remember the excitement over electric typewriters too, Nancy! Happy creating in July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me feel better! Then there was the word processor that actually remembered three pages of text!! Woo Hoo. We've come a long way.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you're getting good use out of that virtual assistant! I guess I'm a bit of a Luddite, still doing almost everything with pen and paper, but one thing I totally agree with is that technology can give us more time for creativity. Whenever I read about the extra busy work writers had to do back in the day, I find that I actually do love computers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE my VA who was a friend before my assistant. She does the behind-the-scenes stuff and is always asking "What else can I do?"

      Delete
  4. I'd forgotten about the erasable paper! I wrote many a term paper on that stuff, with my little Sears electric typewriter. I fell in love with word processors from the first encounter, though there were some difficult learning moments. Had to actually learn some DOS programming to use the first version of Wordstar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    I love writing and use Microsoft Word and Pages. Each have a different function for me. Since I've started formatting my own documents with Vellum, I feel relieved about how my manuscript looks. It seems like you have a wonderful system too. That is wonderful.
    Shalom shalom,
    Pat Garcia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure I'll ever get tired of seeing bare male chests. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymously Esther O'Neill, East of the Sun. who lives in a UK dead zone, just below Scotland, with no signal and arthritic broadband, .
    Not surprised Google found this hard to believe, and I couldn't pick up the security texts.
    On the insecure scale, I'm in the red zone, likely to stay there, but eager to learn from other IWSG members. Sounds as if you have a great system - thanks for sharing. This year, I planned to have a proper website and finish editing my WIP ghost story.
    Life, etc, keeps getting in the way. Happy Summertime ? We're having the kind of summer that inspired Frankenstein, so no more excuses. . Esther.

    ReplyDelete