IWSG: Nothing Compares to You!

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Wednesday, June 07, 2023

IWSG: Nothing Compares to You!

Happy Spring! I say that even though it’s been in the high ‘80s and ‘90s for the past few weeks here in Michigan which are full-on summer temps. Planting my patio garden was a labor of sweat and love . . . but mostly sweat. I’ve gotten my exercise by lugging a watering can twice a day. But it did provide me with a partial answer to this month’s IWSG question: If you ever did stop writing, what would you replace it with? Well, it wouldn’t be gardening! Short answer: Thinking about writing! That’s not just a theory. It’s a reality tested by a life altering situation that defines who I am. I am a writer.

I’ve been making up stories and jotting them down since childhood. I’d create new episodes for my favorite TV shows, alternate endings for favorite books. And I was never without a spiral notebook on my lap, creating worlds with words. But a hubby who was embarrassed by a wife who loved “those kind of books,” two young children at home, and an income that didn’t stretch quite far enough prompted me to take a dare and submit for publication. First attempt: crash and burn. Second attempt: a sale, the first of over 80! Because I just couldn’t NOT write.

Replace writing? I can’t imagine what could do that! Reading, television/movies, even life itself, create constant story prompts. The problem isn’t sitting down to write, it’s deciding what to write first. If there was no longer a market for what I love to write, I’d write for my own enjoyment, just like I did when I was a teenager. And I’d be fine with that. Because all my word garden needs to grow is love and a little water to keep me hydrated.

How about you?



Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. The awesome co-hosts for the June 7th posting of the IWSG will be Patricia Josephine, Diedre Knight, Olga Godim, J. Lenni Dorner, and Cathrina Constantine!

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Twitter hashtag is #IWSG

  

To join the IWSG Blog Hop and view the List of Hop Participants!



21 comments

  1. I wish I had the problem of what to write next. Stories don't just flow out of me like they do for most writers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine won't ever be quiet. Still a problem but one I'd rather have than silence.

      Delete
  2. I've been sweating here in Michigan too. I'm glad it cooled off. I'm like Alex as a writer. Stories don't flow easily for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only we could sweat them out of our pores like this heat . . .

      Delete
  3. Such an inspiring post. You make me want to write again. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have endless ideas either, but usually one concept which is occupying me. I can't imagine not having a project on the go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! If I wasn't writing, I'd have no reason to get up in the morning. Oh, yeah, three cats.

      Delete
  5. Mine wouldn't be gardening either. I can't seem to remember to water things. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine are either drowning or fainting. Feast or famine. I pick very hardy species!

      Delete
  6. I might not write much now but I always have stories in my head to keep me company. I understand your attitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing, thinking about writing, reading about writing - all related.

      Delete
  7. Mine wouldn't be gardening either, Nancy. I enjoy others' gardens and nature instead. I simply travel too much. I can't imagine not writing. Have a happy and creative May!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had surgery on my right wrist ages ago and of course, I'm right handed. I hunt and pecked on the typewriter with my left hand. Sloooow but I got 'er done!

      Delete
  8. I still have a lot of stories that I will end up writing that will be just for me as I know they won't make a marketable book. But then I will always remember them if I have them written down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALL my writing is just for me. Sales are icing on the cake.

      Delete
  9. I'm with you. I'd always find a way to write. @samanthabwriter from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
  10. We were in Michigan in mid-May, and I wish it had been warm (but then we were on the coast of Lake Huron, and it was windy, and we're wimpy Arizonans).

    I probably could replace writing with gardening if I had a bigger yard and lived somewhere where we didn't have triple-digit heat 5 months out of the year. I even tried my hand at garden writing (well, garden blogging) a few years ago. Loved it, but I enjoy writing fiction more.

    ReplyDelete