WeWriWa: In The Eye of the Beholder…MIDNIGHT SHADOWS

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

Sunday, April 14, 2024

WeWriWa: In The Eye of the Beholder…MIDNIGHT SHADOWS


Counting down to next month’s sale with another shiver from prequel, MIDNIGHT SHADOWS . . .

Enjoy!

Midnight Shadows (Touched by Midnight Series - Book 7)

Published: May 3, 2011
Length: 224 Pages

 The Excerpt 

“Are you crazy, Dr. Reynard?”

“W-what?”

“You know, crackers, looney tunes, nuts, bonkers . . . are you insane? Is your instability going to put all of us in danger once we get out into the jungle? My job is to protect your oldest, dearest friend on his little hunting and gathering trek into the wilds and I’ll have enough to worry about without waiting for you to go falling off the deep end.”

“Don’t worry about me, Mr. Cobb,” came words chiseled out in stone, “I’m not your concern.”

“You’re wrong there, Doc. You are my problem and I’ve got to decide how to deal with you.”

She drew herself up with a fiery indignation. “You don’t get to decide anything. You’re just the hired help here, along for the paycheck with no stake whatsoever in this.”

“That’s right—nothing except my life and, excuse me, but I do tend to place some value on that. I get to decide where I’m going to risk it, so if I’m going to go out there and put it on the line for, as you put it, the paycheck, I need to know if you can keep it together.”

( . . . and a bit more . . .)

“I’ll be fine, Cobb.”

“Will you? Are you? Then tell me what you saw earlier tonight in your room.”

“I didn’t see anything.” When his steady stare wouldn’t let her leave it at that, she added, “Anything real, okay. Is that what you wanted to hear—that I’m nuts, bonkers and all the rest, that I have a hole in my memories large enough to drive a semi-truck through? That I can’t trust myself to know what’s real?”

“Trust me.”

His sudden intensity dragged her back from the edge of hysteria.

“Why should I trust you, Cobb?”

“Because I can protect you if you let me. I know you’re not crazy . . . because I know what’s out there, and it’s real.” He touched the scar on his face without being aware of the gesture. “A nightmare that will suck you in and suck you dry if you let it. I won’t let it, Doc.”


I’ve had such fun getting back into these books that I’m tempted to . . . write more in the series. What do you think? Would you be ready to step into TOUCHED BY MIDNIGHT again?


Weekend Writing Warriors is a weekly hop for everyone who loves to write! Share an 8 to 10 sentence snippet of your writing on Sunday. Visit other participants on the list and read, critique, and comment on their #8sunday posts.

Spread the word, share the love, warriors - Hashtag #8sunday.


Nancy on the Web



2 comments

  1. Exciting snippet. And yes. It is fun getting back into book you loved writing. And sharing a snippet. It's almost hard to stop sharing. Next thing you know you go from 8 (or so) sentences to 80. Best to your week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great snippet. I'm hoping you'll share more ! :-)

    ReplyDelete